47yr old lady, broke and living with new partner

Re: help for a 47yr old lady?

The important things to be providing for a grandchild are free - love, taking an interest, a bit of babysitting, stories, playtime.

SVP occasionally provide small financial contributions.

Been thinking about this one and thought occurred to me - the job she is in, any chance she could get her CV out and about and get some interviews and hopefully get better paid full time job?

she works as a mini bus driver, worked in catering all her life but gave it up because of her back.
i understand best things for kids are free etc. but it must be terrible that if anything happened, she couldnt provide for her own child.

i havent heard anything back form the hotels, but its early days yet. once again thanks for your replies!

Re: help for a 47yr old lady?

she works as a mini bus driver, worked in catering all her life but gave it up because of her back.

Could she do some other kind of professional driving job that might pay more? Some taxi plate owners rent their car out and the driver covers the rent with what they make then also makes a living off it.

Maybe she (or you) could contact FAS and see if they could offer any kind of training or job advice (if for example they could advise her on how to become a driving instructor - then she could maybe do a bit of that in evenings/at weekends).

She doesnt seem to have much leeway in the way of cutting back on financial outgoings, mostly loan payback or other necessaries, so maybe an extra or different job might be the way to go.

Could she teach anything from her experiences in catering? (obviously depends on what she did in the area)

Or even perhaps if she could apply for something different, FAS may well be able to help provide some skills for her to get different work (computer literacy - that kind of thing)?

Does she have anything at all of value (or even junk) she could sell on ebay and try to get debts down?

Blossy, she should definitely contact St. V de P. I worked with them a few years ago when I was in Dublin and these are exactly the type of situations where they can get involved and help out.
They will probably want to go through all the different debts and maybe then arrange to give her Tesco vouchers for a few weeks to free up some cash or they may decide to do a once off payment of a bll in full.

Different conferences work in different ways but your friends situation is one they see a lot and would be only too happy to step in and help before she gets deeper into debt and worry.

Ring the head office in Cabra - they will be able to pass the call to the relevant conference.

Back