44 - advice on pension, saving and money makeover - complex situation!!

Winkie

1. Age:
    44 (Male)
    Spouse’s/Partner's age:
  2. 45 (Female)
    Annual gross income from employment or profession:
    €43,000

Annual gross income spouse:
    €30,000 - Part time, self employed- from this she funds childcare and her own pension & some bills.

Monthly take-home pay:
    €3,700 both of us (this is rough average as I am in sales and get paid mileage/ commission which varies)

Type of employment:
    Me- Private sector, my wife - self employed.

Expenditure pattern:
    Generally good enough with money, since 2012 I have spent a lot of cash instead of saving.....on my garden which I love - this is nearly complete so I look forward to not having to outlay this in future - some months this could be €1,000 a month. We don't have a hugely expensive lifestyle. We live in my parents in law old house rent free - (although we did it up at our cost - hence mortgage) - they live elsewhere in another property. My parents in law have made provision for us in their will as regards paying CGT etc - they would be wealthy and are progressive in terms of tax and intergenerational relief etc. My wife stands to inherit approx 800K worth of assets in the future but for now we do not work on the basis of this happening. We have an apartment adjoining the house we live in which we rent for €770 per month - this is all RTB registered and taxed etc. This nearly covers the mortgage below. We live in the hose rent free and rent the apartment.

Rough estimate of value of home
    €300,000 for the apartment? (It cannot be sold though separately as it adjoins my parents in law house above) I look on the value as something we can unlock in later life if we were to sell the whole unit including the apartment.
  3. Mortgage on home
    €176,408 Tracker with .95% interest at present with a term of 21 years left. Second top up mortgage of €20,198 at 3.7% interest with a term of 16 years.
  4. Mortgage provider:
    EBS

Type of mortgage: Tracker, interest only, fixed rate
    See above. Tracker and Variable.

Interest rate
    .95% and 3.7% - Mortgage interest relief on both.

Other borrowings – car loans/personal loans etc
    No other borrowings jointly. I personally owe €21,000 on a long term loan to a family member - currently paying this off at €500 per month. No interest charged - this was for a car loan and a college loan.

Do you pay off your full credit card balance each month?
    No credit card.

Savings and investments:
    No savings as have used this to fund garden improvements and add to pension etc.

Do you have a pension scheme?
    Yes about 20k in pot. I pay 3% and employer pays 3%
    My wife is sorted as regards pension as she started early and is nicely funded.

Do you own any investment or other property?
    Yes - see above.

Ages of children:
    10 and 7.

Life insurance:
    Mortgage protection on mortgage plus a separate policy each which our financial guy says is grand.

What specific question do you have or what issues are of concern to you?

OK, so neither of us is on big bucks but we like a simple lifestyle and work to live as opposed to the reverse. There are assets from my parents in law that will go to my wife in future so that is a big thing. We are also lucky in that my children's great grandmother left provision of a lot of college costs in her will, this is currently in long term funds and should cover a good bit of college. We have no credit cards, overdraft and our mortgage is manageable. We pay insurance, health cover etc as required and shop around. I'd love to get a better handle on pension and would really like to build savings. Happy to live on what I earn but want to use it better. I realise we are asset rich in future but would like to be effective with my money now. Anybody any advice or observations?

From my calculations, your total mortgage payments are around €910/month. My advice would be to work on paying off the €20k @ 3.7%, it's not a huge amount of money and paying it off at €500 extra per month would save you €5.5k in interest. Your tracker is pretty cheap so I wouldn't be hugely concerned with paying it down quickly.

What is the legal situation with the property you live in? Is it possible that it could be gifted to your wife now to give you more security? This would also allow you to sell it & the apartment in the future should circumstances change.

Considering the fact that the apartment is attached to your property, you could entertain the "rent-a-room" scheme if it could be considered a "self-contained unit" rather than an apartment.I'm not 100% sure on the legality on this but the fact it shows up on the page for rent-a-room on citizensadvice it must be covered (can't link as new member). The benefit here is that it will effectively make the income tax free.

Thanks for that. Yes, my next focus was the top up mortgage at higher interest and to clear this fully and save as you pointed out.
There is movement on gifting the house now which will help with the security end of things.

I just went through a question with revenue on the rent a room end of things and it appears it will qualify - however my tenant has just started a new lease so I need to see how amenable she is to changing over, if at all. We would also I think, get a refund of tax paid to date as we would have qualified for rent a room when we first began putting it on the market a few years ago - if we got a refund we'd pay off anything off the mortgage that is on higher interest. Good points you raised - thank you.
Any thoughts on pension or savings? !

Thanks

I'm not an expert but from the research I did, you shouldn't need to change their tenancy.

"Self-contained units
If you rent out a self-contained unit in your home, such as a converted garage attached to your home or a basement flat, the rights and obligations under residential tenancies legislation apply to you. For example, you are obliged to register the tenancy with the Residential Tenancies Board (RTB), provide a rent book to the tenant and ensure that the accommodation provided meets minimum physical standards.

The residential tenancies legislation provides for security of tenure for tenants. These provisions are in Part 4 of the Residential Tenancies Act 2004. However, if the self-contained flat or apartment was originally part of the main house, you can choose to opt out of these provisions. This option is available under Section 25 of the Act. You must give the tenant notice in writing, before the start of the tenancy, if you wish to take this option."

If I were you, I'd get some advice/do some research and see where you stand as it's a fairly considerable saving on tax.

A few other tips I had from my time trying to pay down my mortgage which saved me fair money:
- Ditch pay TV and go with freeview/freesat & netflix
- Change electricity/gas providers every year, take into account any cashback offers etc as part of it.
- Buy mobiles outright and use cheap/good deal monthly or PAYG plans
- Learn how to do any basic maintenance/DIY on car & home to save bringing
- Shop around extensively for any big purchases, insurances etc

Regarding pension, if you increase your contributions will they be matched by employer?

I am hoping tis will work out - it would be a considerable help in clearing mortgage. I will do more work on this and see what happens.

Other tips -
Pay TV gone but Netflix here to stay!
Must look into electricity and gas change over.
My job pays for my phone and all calls.
I am brutal on DIY! I'm happy to spend to get te job done right!
Big purchases we are god at I think - overall we are not majorly lax about bigger spends.

Thank you for all that though - really good food for thought and I appreciate the response.

Back