41% tax on ETFs? And what are the alternatives?

jdpl28

I just got stung at 41% tax on gains on a few ETFs I bought a while back. First I'd ever heard of this tax so came as a surprise, especially as I thought i was OK with capital losses from previous years...

Would love to get some thoughts from people on this form for what are the alternatives to ETF investments? Is it even possible to invest in a bucket of say S&P500 shares without getting stung with this 41% while paying tax in Ireland??

Thanks!
Justin

Was about to post a similar question:
I believe that funds in companies like New Ireland and Zurich etc are just subject to CGT (I am open to correction). You mention S&P 500.
New Ireland's S&P 500 looks similar (not Identical)
These have higher charges but this may be offset by the lower tax rate.

I am curious about the investment trusts, is there a link you could post?

I believe that funds in companies like New Ireland and Zurich etc are just subject to CGT (I am open to correction).
Well, consider yourself corrected!

Unit-linked funds offered by life companies are subject to exit tax/deemed disposal.

So just to summarize - there is no way to diversify a portfolio with any kind of fund in Ireland, without being hit by the 41% tax? so we basically have to stock-pick many individual stocks to get diversification?

So just to summarize - there is no way to diversify a portfolio with any kind of fund in Ireland, without being hit by the 41% tax? so we basically have to stock-pick many individual stocks to get diversification?
No, you can invest in UK investment trusts.

Plenty of threads on the topic already.

Back