40k for investment. Prize bonds?

hgf

I have 15k invested in prize bonds which have had the odd 50euro return. Having seen the dreadfully low return in any of the best buy deposits I am considering putting the 40k in have in my current account into prizebonds also. With a toddler and a baby I need somewhere very low maintenance to put my 40k which is why I thought prizebonds.but opinions appreciated???

Since August 2017, the official return on Prize Bonds is 0.5%. In practice, you have to look at the return in €50 prizes only which is 0.27% (or 0.28% if you include €100 prizes). These are the only ones you have any realistic chance of winning. By the way, for your €15k investment this means less than one €50 win per year on average, and the lumpiness means you run a significant risk of no returns at all if your time horizon is less than several years.

With DIRT rates set to fall to 37%, the grossed up equivalent interest rate in a bank account incurring DIRT is 0.43%. If you look at the Savings Best Buys thread, there are some accounts paying better than this. Your experience may vary, but I don't think buying and encashing prize bonds is any less hassle than opening a bank account.

(It's gotten to the stage where personally I don't find the rates on any account attractive enough to be bothered moving from my current provider which just happens to be Rabo, even though their rates are in the basement).

Last edited:
You could set up a few regular saver accounts and drip feed 1k every month into each. EBS are paying 3% at mo.

With low interest rates, why don't we put it all under the bed, that will make the banks sit up

Back