3G Broadband from 3

Just tried it again this morning and it's flying compared to last night. Peaked at .5mps. Stll nowhere remotely near what's been advertised, but good.

It'll be interesting to see if it's the same this evening (suggesting contention with others in my neighbourhood) or if there was some work being done on the network overnight.

For anyone whos interested in this I installed the web accelerator off the 3 website and am getting speeds up to 10 times faster what I used to get. Its worth a shot anyways.

For what its worth, I have the Vodafone 3G modem (same device as 3) and today my speed averaged 840kbps. Over a two week period I got between 650kbps and 1Meg. Not bad, especially as I don't have the option of DSL.

Living in Cork City and really happy with 3 broadband.

My laptop's from Dell and it wouldn't install for me so I brought the laptop to the 3 shop for help. The staff there were great, they had to remove the roxio cd burning programme and maybe a few others (not sure exactly what they did) as some programmes aren't compatible with the 3 modem. They said it happens a lot with Dell computers.

So my advice if you are buying one, take laptop to shop and get staff to install it for you.

posted a thread looking for broadband in boroimhe in swords recently and it appears that outside of land-line based broadband, there is not a huge amount of choice round here so I am stuck with the 'aul 3 broadband for the next while by the looks of it! In fairness its flying along today at 444kps and with the web accelerator it goes a lot faster again. The main problem i have is with the inconsistency of the download speeds, whereby I have had 1.2mbs but then an hour later the most i could get was 20kps. But on a good day its impressive.

help, i live in glasnevin, have full bar coverage and only have speeds in the 20s, occasionally above 100Kbs.

Where did you get the accellerator? My 3 speeds are so slow i cannot afford to waste the effort trawling the 3 website!

[broken link removed]

have a go, ironically my 3 connection was too weak to download it initially, but it's worth installing.

If you've nothing else and you get a reliable connection I guess you can consider it a better alternative to flat rate dialup.

My laptop's from Dell and it wouldn't install for me so I brought the laptop to the 3 shop for help. The staff there were great, they had to remove the roxio cd burning programme and maybe a few others (not sure exactly what they did) as some programmes aren't compatible with the 3 modem. They said it happens a lot with Dell computers.

That bloody Roxio cd burning programme :mad: , don't get me started ! It annoys the hell out of me why Dell can allow s/w like that to go out on their products. I had a similar problem with my b'band installation (Eircom).

One of the first things I uninstall is Roxio. I use the free CDBurnerXP Pro. Which isn't fancy but just works. Haven't tried it on Vista yet. Roxio seems to install a lot of crud that nibbles at your resources. My rule on software is avoid crud. It all adds up.

If you've nothing else and you get a reliable connection I guess you can consider it a better alternative to flat rate dialup.

Other reasons to buy would be that it's much cheaper than standard GPRS. O2 charge €5 for a megabyte.

Also, with 3, there's no roaming charge to use it on their networks in Europe. I dread to think what O2's data roaming rate would be in the UK. I might need a mortgage to download a CD.

So, even if it works adequately most of the time, and quickly some of the time, it'll be good value for a traveller.

I installed on three different machines with no problem.

Each time you plug it in, you need to wait for the device to be recognised by XP before starting the connection application.

I just got the landline activated and have ordered broadband. I give up on this 3 thing. I bought it on the 2 week trial 3 weeks ago, and speeds were sclerotic. I was told in the shop it was because they were upgrading the network. They were very nice, let me cancel and told me all would be fixed in 2 weeks.
I duely got it last sunday, expecting it to be better, only to be very disappointed again.
At least there front desk staff are good!

In the past few days using the 3 usb BB i have had speeds up to 1gb, but if I am streaming video on youtube it downloads at 200-300kbps but then drops to 0 after a couple of minutes and I have to disconnect and connect again, then the same thing happens again. Would anybody know why this happens?

Back