Laya 3A Laya Renewal 1/12

suzie

Hi all,

I have 3 adult policies (relatives) for renewal. One is actively seeing consultant for pain management so will be availing of their 50% refund costs, but has also been hit with shortfall costs in their policy as some of these treatments have been in hi-tech hospitals etc.

1 Adult renewal of SimplyHealth (Excess) @ €1074

2 Adults (one of which is referred to above) renewal of Total Health Choice @ €1072 each

I'm off to hia to see what it throws up and any guidance from people here would be much appreciated.

Thanks
S.

The mind boggles with the endless hia comparsions!!

So far I think laya's ConnectCare is marginally better than the renewal polices. If I wanted to drop the day to day cover (as these adults have medical cards) What sort of saving could be achieved?

I'm balancing the option of hospital cover Vs Consultant fees. It seems current patterns for pain management procedures is 2 consultant vists per each hospital day case procedure. I appreciate this is a very simplistic algorithm, but its going on previous experience.

Thanks
S.

I rang Cornmarket yesterday to get some advice on policy renewals, now I can't vouch for how impartial their advice was but I have a big email with comparisons to wade through this morning. I also have 3 people on 3 different plans with Laya, was told straight away one of them was on the best option available for them and possibly a second one, savings to be made on the 3rd person alright if I dropped some benefits.

Worth a phone call maybe if you are confused with the HIA site which gave me 34 options to review! I hadn't the energy.

I know Cornmarket get commission from some of the providers but they are unlikely to earn anything from me so the payback is they have my details on file and also asked for dates of house and car insurance renewal so no doubt I will be contacted again. A small price to pay for help with this complicated decision.

Also look at Laya SimplyHealth Connect which is €1000 per adult. I am looking to match Laya SimplyHealth Excess too.
Kids this year are very expensive I am finding. Can't get unlimited hospital cover for less than €306 really.
Others that I'm comparing are Aviva Level 2 Health Excess and VHI Health Plan 18.
Aviva Health Plan 17 & Business Plan + have good hospital cover for 977 & 979 per adult respectively, but a big excess on the outpatient cover.
I also noted VHI PMI 37 13 - €931 per adult for some reason, but also has excess on the outpatient cover.

Thanks all,

just going back on some of snowyb most recent responses. Its really an eye opener how the recent changes have increased costs.

Head in a spin and I've another 1A + 3C to decide upon. Might just bounce these policies off Cornmarket.

Thanks
S.

I spent yesterday looking at them and rang Laya as well, while I could decrease my cost by nearly 300 and lose the private room in public hospital cover which would not bother me because you'll never get it anyway, just when I was ready to go with that the person I was talking to just noticed there was one other difference as well, a €125 excess on any hospital treatment. So that idea was scrapped, a couple of day procedures would wipe out the savings, think I might just stick with what I have this year.

If its of any use to others, the following adult policies were renewed to other policies:

Laya SimplyHealth (Excess) -> Laya Essential Connect Family
Laya Total Health Choice -> Laya ConnectCare
Laya Company Care Plus -> Laya ConnectChoice

S.

The mind boggles with the endless hia comparsions!!

Exactly! I found the same when recently renewing...so much so that I just gave up in the end and renewed with my long-term insurer.

Surely the regulator should be able to do something about this?
Can we not have a certain number of, let's call them core-plans, standardised across all insurers, so potential customers would be able to compare like with like!

Am I asking too much?

Back