37"/40" LCD - Any difference in brands for occasional viewer?

apple1

Folks,

Plan on cashing in on all the sales for an LCD, somwhere in the 37 - 40" range. I'm only an occasional viewer, taking in football matches & the odd DVD. I wouldn't count myself a techie but if I'm going to invest several hundred, I might as well buy something with reasonably good definition. Is there any real difference when it comes to mid to high range brands, i.e Sony, Samsung, Phillips, Panasonic etc or what would all the seasoned punters on Askabout recommend? Thanks in advance, apple1

Panasonic LCD's are probably the best. I say this based on independent expert and user reviews that can be accessed online. Sony are also a very strong manufacturer in this area. Samsung, Toshiba and Philips are also reputable. Any one from those and you should be ok :).

For an occasional viewer, there's a lot of choice out there. Pretty much if you like what you see, buy it. Main brands as stated in previous post, but I think Panasonic only do plasma in the sizes you prefer. Plasma gives slightly better quality pictures but has a shorter lifetime than LCD.

One thing a lot of people don't think about is side-viewing. A picture might look good to you head-on but not so good to your guests viewing at an angle.

Back