360 v PS3

elefantfresh

Anyone have any ideas on which machine is the better? I suppose we dont yet know which format will take off yet for the movies - bluray or what have you. But purely as a games machine i'm leaning towards the 360. The reviews i have read suggest that it has better graphics and certainly a better back catelogue already.

Does anybody have both of these consoles and have a valid opinion on which one i should go for?

Don't have either (I have a standard Xbox), but the Xbox Live option is definitely a plus.

Anyone have any ideas on which machine is the better? I suppose we dont yet know which format will take off yet for the movies - bluray or what have you. But purely as a games machine i'm leaning towards the 360. The reviews i have read suggest that it has better graphics and certainly a better back catelogue already.

Does anybody have both of these consoles and have a valid opinion on which one i should go for?

If you can afford it get the PS3, 95% of films will come out on Bluray and most of the Film companys have already taken it on.
I have a 360 and already the HD DVD palyer is incompatable with some movies. Also there will be a greater choice of games on the PS3.

According to the Last Word.

Price is on the way down on the PS3

Sales haven't been as good as expected.

Bout time too.

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Are the Blu-Ray and HD Players in the PS3/XBox backward compatible
with standard DVD's?

Thanks

K

I have an XBox 360 so you can call me biased but I think the 360 is the way to go. The 360 has the bigger games catalogue due to the fact that it has been released for much longer. There are several top quality games such as Gears of War, Pro Evolution Soccer, Call of Duty 2 & 3 and Rainbow 6 Vegas.

There is an agruement that Sony has a monopoly on games exclusives but this is becoming much less of an issue. Games that used to be Playstation exclusives are now being brought out on both platforms due to the cost of developing these games. Why launch a game on one machine and not make money from other platforms? Also games on both will more likely be identical.

Another point is the Xbox Live service which is excellent.

If your after a next-generation DVD player then go for the Playstation 3 if your solely after a games machine I'd choose the 360.

The only major drawback of the 360 is the noise. It is fine if you are playing a game which is stored on the hard drive such as a classic arcade game downloaded from Live. However, when playing a game on a disc then the combination of the disk drive and the fan can be quite loud. You do forget about the sound and it isn't deafening by any means but it is annoying.

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Are the Blu-Ray and HD Players in the PS3/XBox backward compatible
with standard DVD's?

Thanks

K

Can only speak for the 360 HD-DVD but it can also play standard DVDs. Actually not only does it play them but it does a very good job at upscaling them.

I have a VGA cable from the 360 to a 46" 1080p Samsung and the quality of even standard DVD is very good (but obviously not as good as true HD)

Josey - is the noise of the 360 comparable to the xbox? My xbox is quite loud but its not torturous.

I never owned or played the original Xbox. I was a PS2 owner so I couldn't tell you.

However, I have been told that it is nosier than the original. It was announced yesterday that Microsoft are switching the chipsets they use which will result is a quieter and cooler running machine. This will happen this summer but it could take a while for those new models to filter through.

Back