32 yr old part time worker wants to start 1st pension - Is it worth it?

P

pudo

I am a 32 yr old woman who is about to return to the workforce on a part time basis earning about 25,000 a year. I don't know yet if I will find a job that will contribute towards my pension. Realisitically, I can only afford to put away 6% of my salary as we're paying a large mortgage along with 2 lots of creche fees. Given the kids situation, I will probably be working part-time for the next 8-10 yrs and then I will go full time. I have never had a pension and I'm very anxious to start one up to safeguard my future financially in the case that my spouse dies or heaven above does a runner!! (Touch wood). At the same time, I'm concerned that the amount I'm putting away is relatively small and may not warrant a full pension plan as the fees would eat it all up anyway. I'd really appreciate your advice on this?

If your mortgage is large then you might want to concentrate on reducing that first before investing in a pension. It really depends on your overall financial circumstances. Have you read the AAM guide on this issue?

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/guide/ch02.htm
http://www.askaboutmoney.com/guide/ch11.htm

As regards charges there is no fundamental reason why investing relatively small amounts through a pension should cause you to be penalised on charges. As a general yardstick it is possible to get PRSAs with charging structures of 0% on each contribution and 1% annual management fee for a fixed once off arrangement fee of a few hundred euros.

Maybe also take a look at Eagle Star investment products, some include a life insurance. If there are any fears as you describe below a life insurance in combination with other investment might be worth a consideration. If you want to invest into a cheap PRSA 0%/1% remember that direct deduction via payroll may not be possible and you have to choose the funds yourself. If you are on 20% tax a PRSA might be worthwhile, ask if your employer contributes, if you have an SSIA the 7000 EUR rollover government incentive might be suitable for you to start off with a lump sum, also compare PRSA and private pension e.g. Quinn Life (SSIA rollover possible too).

All the best from a fellow part-timer

Fanny

safeguard my future financially in the case that my spouse dies ?

Many thanks for your advice - it has really helped. Having had a good look at Quinn Life, I am going to go with their flexible pension. I'm very interested in learning more about investments plus it allows me to make the most of the money I put away without all the charges attached.

Back