31 year old looking for advice on how to invest 3k a month with a medium-long term horizon

xwing2018

Background
31 years old, Bought a house in Dublin with my partner in earlier this year and have a mortgage balance of 355k with 29.5 years remaining. We are with BOI and fixed at 3% til March 2021 and currently overpaying the maximum 10% per month. I'll likely look into switching the mortgage when the break fees make it feasible and avail of the UB 2.3% rate.

We are currently in the process of building up a joint emergency fund of approx 15k and aside from the household expenses we manage our finances separately as we're not married and she has education loans and each like to spend our disposable income differently.

Query

Essentially my previous savings went on the house deposit so I'm starting from scratch again and would like to start investing for the long term as the returns on deposits are negligible and its never too early to start.

I'm in the position where'll I'll be saving between 3-4k a month for the next 18 months so want to use this opportunity to begin to build a long term portfolio that can then be managed and topped up as once my salary decreases again and I have less cash to contribute (likely 500 per month)

I've opened a Degiro account and begun researching options on ETFs vs individual share portfolio etc, any suggestions gladly welcomed!

tldr

31 year old looking for advice on how to invest 3k a month with a medium-long term horizon and medium risk appetite.

I'm a public sector employee on LOA abroad for the 18 month period. Haven't looked into AVCs as I am unsure if I'll remain public sector until pensionable age, the LOA could become permanent and move to a private sector role.

Suggest you keep building your cash reserves and paying down your mortgage ahead of schedule for the next 18 months and then re-visiting your long-term financial strategy when your plans are more certain.

Suggest you keep building your cash reserves and paying down your mortgage ahead of schedule for the next 18 months and then re-visiting your long-term financial strategy when your plans are more certain.

Fair one, just feels a bit pointless to have it sitting in deposit accounts. Can't pay any more off the mortgage unless I break and switch to a variable, any advice on this?

Fair one, just feels a bit pointless to have it sitting in deposit accounts. Can't pay any more off the mortgage unless I break and switch to a variable, any advice on this?
Just break the amount you want to overpay.

At 31 after just buying a house with partner, is there other upcoming life events that you'd want to plan for - weddings, kids? Does your medium-long term outlook account for those things?

At 31 after just buying a house with partner, is there other upcoming life events that you'd want to plan for - weddings, kids? Does your medium-long term outlook account for those things?

Wedding wont be a major financial event if it happens at all thankfully, there is a reasonable expectation of significant salary increase on my partners side so imagine our financial situation will look quite different in 5-8 years time, hence my idea now to start investing now with the extra funds so that it that might be well established by that time if that makes sense.

Back