3000+ for barrister in divorce?

siobhand1

The first time I met my solicitor we had a brief chat I asked her explicitly how much all in to get a divorce(Iwas paying by visa) she said 6000, I said ok I'll give you 2000 dep I wrote out a visa cheque and said that's 4000 left. This was all done in good faith, not for a moment did she mention any other costs.
She was really nice,happy we even hugged. A year and a few months later I have a consent divorce.I wrote and asked to see if she could nudge up maintenance to extra 100 and would he consider paying her balance of 4000 just to see,nothing more.
This led to a return letter with other quotes:
barrister 3000 or more+ vat.
house transfer 600+vat
her fee 6000+vat
I rang she was on the way out I talked to her secretary who was defensive.
The citizens advice bureau flac solicitor said a barrister could do a proceedings draft 150 and consent 500+vat. House transfer could be any price 250 to 300 or more+vat ring around. Land registry deeds standard fee 85.
I rang again following week 'don't argue with me' she said, do you think I should go to the courthouse with these documents or even you, the judge would say why aren't you working or the other side might cancel consent, what would you do then? I felt threatened. Do you want to change solicitors, I'll still have to be paid. The other side would not pay your costs and if they did you would pay me and you would claim off them.What is she on about,I can't believe the turn around.
You never mentioned barrister and I don't understand the fee of 3000+. Why did you not mention this at our first meeting.How is it you did not acknowledge my deposit. Look you have to have a barrister and that's that, why are you arguing with me?

I have no problem going to family court for a judgement once I know what I should have in place is in place.
Please help I can't afford three thousand plus. Thanks

Last edited:
Back