30 v 35 year mortgage

I don't think it's madness if it's most likely going to be paid off sooner anyway. The downside in terms of higher mortgage protection life insurance premiums doesn't apply in this case. The only con that I can think of is that the borrower "forgets" the original intention to pay it off early and it runs the full 35 years and incurs the full 35 year interest costs. Which is, I guess, the point that you're making? But if they're committed to accelerating repayment then I see no real issue with taking the longest available term.
Yes that was my point. Seen too many who think/believe they will repay early but do not. I'm actually one of the replay early types as it happens. But in general I don't advise it because of life experience of seeing what others do.

Many are starting out, and have no clue about how much child care costs, they don't think of that when they apply for the 1st mortgage.

Also. Since when is it a good idea to have a 35 year mortgage. Ending at 65 or 70. When quite a few people will end up redundant at 50/55/60. Which happened to my OH.

Right now in the UK there are many people who have those long mortgage, and have zero lee way in the current climate of high interest rates. Shockingly high for them.

This website can be biased too. Because we who give our opinions are either experienced in the business or are financially astute.

I think for me the best idea is to take the 35 year mortgage. I'll overpay the max allowed 10% during the fixed term and continue saving. Then after the fixed term, i'll have a good whack saved and can reassess best case wrt interest rates etc.

I max out the pension already so there's no scope for increasing that really. I'm extremely disciplined so the wouldn't be worried about "forgetting" to pay off the mortgage early. I have standing orders to savings (both long term and rainy day) on pay day.
Then in this particular case the 35 year is suitable for you. How much are you stress testing?

I understand that, but I didn't ask for advice. Just wanted to double check that my calculations were correct.
Don't you think it would be far better to get that advice. You omitted entirely in the OP the cost in interest of the longer term. As Redonion pointed out.

What would you do if your fix ends and your interest rate doubles. Very relevant for those early in life with large mortgages. Generally irrelevant to those at the end of their mortgage with little remaining to repay.

I'm not really looking for general advice about 30 v 35. Just wanted to make sure my maths was correct.

I haven't really stress tested as I know they're extremely manageable repayments. As a matter of interest I double interest to 7.4% and still would be comfortable

Don't you think it would be far better to get that advice. You omitted entirely in the OP the cost in interest of the longer term. As Redonion pointed out.

What would you do if your fix ends and your interest rate doubles. Very relevant for those early in life with large mortgages. Generally irrelevant to those at the end of their mortgage with little remaining to repay.
I'd pay off a big chunk of the mortgage. Or just continue paying the double interest rate, it's still very comfortable for me.

wrt to advice, there is no way to give accurate advice since there are so many variables that posters are unaware of.

If it's very comfortable I'm surprised you're even looking at 30 never mind 35? Why would you do that?

I'm not really looking for general advice about 30 v 35. Just wanted to make sure my maths was correct.
Your maths is correct but your table is mixed up, fixed it below

€250,000
Mortgage TermRateMonthly RepaymentTotal RepaymentsCapital RepaymentsInterest Repayments
30 Years 35 years3.7% Fixed 5 Years€1,062.40€63,744.23€19,184.65€44,559.58
35 Years 30 years3.7% Fixed 5 Years€1,150.71€69,042.45€24,994.82€44,047.63
€500,000
Mortgage TermRateMonthly RepaymentTotal RepaymentsCapital RepaymentsInterest Repayments
30 Years 35 years3.7% Fixed 5 Years€2,124.81€127,488.46€38,369.29€89,119.16
35 Years 30 years3.7% Fixed 5 Years€1,150.71 €2,301.41€138,084.90€49,989.63€88,095.26

Back