30% of heat and broadband as tax credit for those working from home

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if there are two (or more?) of you working at home? Can you claim 30% each, or do you just work out the total number of days that at least one of you is working at home?
Id assume no double up just the dsys at least one person wfh.

You claim 30% of what you pay. So if one person pays, they are the one that claims, otherwise you split the cost and claim between you.

You claim 30% of what you pay. So if one person pays, they are the one that claims, otherwise you split the cost and claim between you.
Sounds right. So next question will be if one of us claims eWorkers allowance of €3.20 pd, can the other claim the 30%. (You can't claim both I believe).

Sounds right. So next question will be if one of us claims eWorkers allowance of €3.20 pd, can the other claim the 30%. (You can't claim both I believe).

This was discussed to death in last years home working thread, if I remember correctly. You don't claim eWorkers. Your employer will either pay you eWorkers (in which case you cant claim the 30%) or they don't pay you (and you could claim the 30%).

This was discussed to death in last years home working thread, if I remember correctly. You don't claim eWorkers. Your employer will either pay you eWorkers (in which case you cant claim the 30%) or they don't pay you (and you could claim the 30%).
Agreed.
But if I claim eWorkers and my wife doesn't, can my wife claim the 30%?

What's the estimated average daily benefit, does anyone knew?

I'm wondering if it's actually worth the trouble that it'll take to calculate the claim etc.

These things are often designed to be a pain, and of little real value, purely to let politicans pretend that they've helped the tax payer.

I'm wondering if it's actually worth the trouble that it'll take to calculate the claim etc.

These things are often designed to be a pain, and of little real value, purely to let politicans pretend that they've helped the tax payer.
I heard the max would be around €200 or so. Obviously depends on the cost of your bills etc.

Government estimates that it could benefit 400k workers at a fiscal cost of €11m.

That's €27.50 on average, so not very much.

I haven't done the sums but you might just get into three figures if you have high bills and telework a lot.

Top rate tax payer, fully WFH: (€100 p.m. L&H + €30 p.m Broadband) * 230/365 * 30% * 40% = €115. €10 p.m.

My exact thoughts herself was doing double that for weeks and has over 52 days holidays accrued, that the company has made an exception on her taking them due to obvious reasons.
The obvious reason being that they are underresourced but not too bothered about improving things as long as their staff are picking up the slack?

I've been approaching this wrong, I need to invest in a power guzzling cryptocurrency mining rig and then claim 30% of the electricity costs back.
Alas, these credits are usually setup with some internal threshold above which you'll get asked for documentation to support your claim.
And that seems more like a home business than remote working from home.

Ah well, there goes the €20 extra a month I needed to upgrade by broadband to a 10 Gbps fibre link.

I tried to get exact figures today from my previous supplier as we for the first time changed in July, but alas I can't access the Bill's as " my online account is now closed "

So, I added up the emails including vat got a figure and applied the 10% and said to myself " the sun was shining and I'm here in the shade saving €45" if I was working that would be an hours charge in old money, and I gave up an opportunity to play 18 holes badly, and I like that.

Fools and money are seldom parted.

It's like the voucher for staycation on the form 11, why?

So my strategy is if I make a mistake in my returns and I owe them a few quid I'm going to dig up everything and then say "we never claimed that " .

The more I think about this, the more annoyed I'm getting - my limited free time is valuable, and yet our government think its okay to waste it with this nonsense.

... I could end up spending longer collecting and filing the bills, doing the maths and then the tax return, than I'd get back for my troubles, in financial terms.

Maybe I'm better off not wasting time trying to claim this petty relief, but ensuring that I vote against the current governing parties, at the next election?

The more I think about this, the more annoyed I'm getting - my limited free time is valuable, and yet our government think its okay to waste it with this nonsense.

... I could end up spending longer collecting and filing the bills, doing the maths and then the tax return, than I'd get back for my troubles, in financial terms.

Maybe I'm better off not wasting time trying to claim this petty relief, but ensuring that I vote against the current governing parties, at the next election?
I was of the same option. But yesterday it appears to revenue online have a updated receipt tracker and now easier to claim.

You upload WFH bills to them directly. Input date,cost, broadband or light/heat upload picture or PDF and save.

I followed the guide on their website https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pensions/eworking/how-to-claim.aspx . Were you then do a online return. This already prepoulated with incomes and credits. But just needed to attach the WFH credit. Which added up everything for you inputted working days for 2020. Job done took around 30mins.

Not sure of final figure will revert back here when it updated. But even if 34 euro or more this helps towards lowering the TWSS tax I got in Feb .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back