30% of heat and broadband as tax credit for those working from home

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be very significant. Wait until we see the small print though. Presumably terms and conditions will apply....

From the Irish Times

Donohoe has announced an income tax deduction amounting to 30 per cent of the cost of vouched expenses for heat, electricity and broadband in respect of those incurred while working from home.

So 30% of the ~10% apportioned to working from home (i.e. not worth the effort to claim unless you can make a good case for a higher apportionment) or 30% of total bill?

So 30% of the ~10% apportioned to working from home (i.e. not worth the effort to claim unless you can make a good case for a higher apportionment) or 30% of total bill?
I'd assume, based on last year's setup, 30% apportioned by the number of days working from home.
Which is about 220-230 days if you are working from home full time.

what does he mean by "vouched expenses". Does that mean we have to back any claim with the relevant bills?

Thanks, still works out to be practically nothing in their [broken link removed]. Surely the cost of implementing and claiming this is more than it's worth.
That's before the proposals to allow 30% for heating. It was 10% until now.

But otherwise you're right it's not very much.

Budget 2022 measures are projected to cost the Exchequer €10m a year. Assume 500,000 teleworkers to some extent and you get to about about €20 each.

I'd assume, based on last year's setup, 30% apportioned by the number of days working from home.
Which is about 220-230 days if you are working from home full time.
That would be right I'm actually doing last years and I can't believe she was here that long.....surly an additional relief should be given to spouses.

Obviously tongue in cheek

I did it last year, scanned all the documents, estimated the broadband, estimated the number of days at home versus in the office.

It was not worth the effort of finding all the paperwork and filling in all the detail. Plus the bill had to be in the year you were claiming for. So if the esb bill covered dec-jan, it accepted the bill from Jan 2020 where I pro rated the cost to just cover jan 2020. but rejected the bill from jan 2021 when I tried to pro-rata the dec cost. So I submitted the full jan 2020 bill instead.

I think I got €60 back, it is so much fanfare and little substance.

I love the way these things are so clearly designed by public servants…

“only the days you work, so 5/7 x 365 less holidays”
My exact thoughts herself was doing double that for weeks and has over 52 days holidays accrued, that the company has made an exception on her taking them due to obvious reasons.

What if there are two (or more?) of you working at home? Can you claim 30% each, or do you just work out the total number of days that at least one of you is working at home?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back