3 unauthorised payments on Revolut

Sinead123

I would like to know if anyone was successful in talking to someone in Revolut. I had 600 euro ( 3 seperate, consecutive transactions) removed from my account. I received no authentication codes and have not shared my details with anyone. Revolut noted the 'suspicious activity' and blocked the 4th attempt which I confirmed and they have recorded as a status of Declined:Fraudulent.

Revolut have overlooked all my evidence and have claimed that the chargeback was unsuccessful as there is no evidence of fraudulent activity on my account . The 3 transactions were made from 19.00 and 19.02 which is not humanely possible. The police have confirmed that these transactions are fraudulent and have completed a report . Again Revolut have overlooked this, telling me there is no fraudulent activity. I have screen shot evidence confirming no receipt of authentication codes , the only notice I got from Revolut on the day was telling me they had blocked my card.

Any advice from anyone is really really welcome as to how to proceed. Im thinking of the national airwaves next given I did not share any of my details and expected to be notified if an Antiques shop in Chile was looking for payments.

It's a bit late now, but it's best not to have over €200 in your Revolut account as it's so difficult to solve a problem if it arises.

I don't think you will get any satisfaction from Revolut on your own.

Try Charlie Weston in the Indo or Conor Pope in the Irish Times or Joe Duffy.

You should also make a formal written complaint and ask for their response to be marked "final answer" so that you can go to the Ombudsman.

Brendan

Last edited:
Follow up with them in writing with all of your information. Then go to the Gardai as you have suffered a theft. Then deal with the CBI, the CCPC, and maybe the NCSC. Even the DPC? Your data was processed illegally? Some of our regulators are good and some are not but make sure you attempt to activate all. If none of this works on a week or two go to social media and journalists. It’s a shame we don’t have good consumer bodies working in Ireland like other countries. Good luck.

There are more and more stories coming out about Revolut's poor anti fraud processes and resolutions. I have very little faith in them and never hold more than a few quid in my Revolut account. If I need to transfer money to someone, I top up my Revolut and then transfer the amount to them. If I have over €100 in the my Revolut, I transfer it to my main bank account. With Apple Wallet, I just pay for everything with my main bank account through the app. I am happy to pay €6 a month to BoI knowing that I have that extra layer of security that Revolut are clearly not providing to their customers.

Out of interest Sinead, do you have a free account with Revolut or a paid one? I wonder do people with paid accounts get better fraud resolution than those with free accounts?

@Sinead123

Can you be more specific:

-were these for sure card transactions ?
-what does it say on your statement?
-did you have any security settings switched on such as no physical use of card?

Absolutely no joy with Revolut myself on the fraudulent transaction by person who pickpocketed my phone. I opened a case with the financial ombudsman so hopefully some recompense that way.
This really makes it clear that it's not safe having money in Revolut or to have the app on the phone one walks around with. I've now deleted the app from that phone and only have the app on the phone I leave at home.

@Sinead123 unfortunately when these transactions are reviewed there has been a violation by the account holder in all the cases I have seen and as many here have said - particularly the stories from the Irish Times.

That said if you are absolutely sure - one avenue you could explore is the Small Claims Court at District Court - have all your facts and documents.

While the judge may be tepid they often given rulings in favour of consumer and one of the crucifixes for Revolut would be the problem of getting anyone to deal with you. Part of that could be they are 100% sure - but there you go. I note what @DeeKie suggests but I think this would be easier.

The standard Revolut approach seems to be that you have to prove a fraud occurred rather then them proving it didn't. So it's almost up to you to prove you never shared your card details, PIN, never used a generic PIN number, that it was completely unique etc etc. It's also quite possible their system is saying it sent you a transaction alert but how do you prove you never received it? Perhaps you should ask them if an alert was sent. ?

At least with a brick and morter bank, you can walk into a branch and look someone in the eye or talk to a human.

@Sinead123 unfortunately when these transactions are reviewed there has been a violation by the account holder in all the cases I have seen and as many here have said - particularly the stories from the Irish Times.

Can you elaborate on this, that there has been a violation by the account holder? My phone was stolen at a bar, then the thief made google pay transactions at multiple premises. The way I see it the only violation is trusting google pay and internet banks and having all of these and email on the phone that I walk around with. Now even with that you would expect Revolut and N26 to refund fraudulent payments. In replies from people on here or on Reddit etc there is this naivety about Revolut expressed / the false sense of security with phone payments that I had seems to be pervasive. In the meantime given that one cannot trust Revolut et al with one's money I have removed as much of this from the phone I walk around with and put a lock on my email app to ward against having a significant amount of money stolen again.

Can you elaborate on this, that there has been a violation by the account holder? My phone was stolen at a bar, then the thief made google pay transactions at multiple premises. The way I see it the only violation is trusting google pay and internet banks and having all of these and email on the phone that I walk around with. Now even with that you would expect Revolut and N26 to refund fraudulent payments. In replies from people on here or on Reddit etc there is this naivety about Revolut expressed / the false sense of security with phone payments that I had seems to be pervasive. In the meantime given that one cannot trust Revolut et al with one's money I have removed as much of this from the phone I walk around with and put a lock on my email app to ward against having a significant amount of money stolen again.
How did they manage to unlock your phone to get access to Google pay?

How did they manage to unlock your phone to get access to Google pay?

I'm not sure how you expect me to know the machinations of all of how they made the transactions. CCTV footage wasn't available at the pickpocketing location so I have no knowledge on if they were able to spy on me inputting my pin code for example. And I wasn't present at any of the locations to see how they had access on my phone when doing each transaction so apart from a forgot password request sent to my email potentially giving access to my N26 account there is little I know about the how. I would regularly have faced having to put in my phone's pin for google pay transactions, especially large ones.

Last edited:
More info is needed. Were the transactions to an individual (money transfer) or a card transaction for goods?

If it was the latter you should be able to raise a chargeback claim against the merchant. The chargeback should go to the merchant.

For the former it is difficult as it suggests somebody had access to your account to perform a money transfer and it will be difficult to prove it wasn't you.

More info is needed. Were the transactions to an individual (money transfer) or a card transaction for goods?

If it was the latter you should be able to raise a chargeback claim against the merchant. The chargeback should go to the merchant.

For the former it is difficult as it suggests somebody had access to your account to perform a money transfer and it will be difficult to prove it wasn't you.
It doesn't read like they did transfers, Sinead makes reference to her card being blocked, so it sounds like unauthorised transactions done with her card.

It doesn't read like they did transfers, Sinead makes reference to her card being blocked, so it sounds like unauthorised transactions done with her card.

If that's the case it isn't actually revolut making a decision on the chargeback it is the merchant who the payment went to. Revolut are essentially the middle person.

Regarding the authorisation code, this is only a requirement under PSD2 Strong Customer Authentication for transactions within the Eurozone (and UK). It is possible that therefore that transactions will not always require an authorisation this will depend on Revoluts own approach. It seems they did identify the transactions on the 4th go and blocked.

If that's the case it isn't actually revolut making a decision on the chargeback it is the merchant who the payment went to. Revolut are essentially the middle person.

Regarding the authorisation code, this is only a requirement under PSD2 Strong Customer Authentication for transactions within the Eurozone (and UK). It is possible that therefore that transactions will not always require an authorisation this will depend on Revoluts own approach. It seems they did identify the transactions on the 4th go and blocked.

Well isn't that similar to Bank of Ireland where they send the chargeback to Mastercard? The issue is where Revolut refuse to send the chargeback in the first place, whereas Bank of Ireland and others don't refuse this.

Well isn't that similar to Bank of Ireland where they send the chargeback to Mastercard? The issue is where Revolut refuse to send the chargeback in the first place, whereas Bank of Ireland and others don't refuse this.

I don't think Revolut treat chargeback claims different to Bank of Ireland or any other Bank. They are all governed by the same rules and regulations.

Wording on both websites indicate that 'fraud' is a legitimate reason for raising a chargeback. However, based on the information provided a chargeback claim should be straight forward in this case, it is strange for them to refuse a chargeback when they already labelled one transaction as fraud. So I suggest starting a formal complete or disputing the individual transactions.

Back