3 Simple Cheap Insulation tricks

willyfones

Just thought I would mention a few simple things I did in my house last week that have made a noticeable difference in heat retention. (took about 3 hours to do)

- Bought draft proofing tape (costs about 7 euro) and used a burning incense stick to identify draft in all windows and doors around the house. Then used tape to seal doors and windows that needed it.

- Covered a large window in our landing with industrial bubble wrap and sealed with tape.. I have a blind that I just pulled down to keep the eye sore out of view. (But large bubble wrap for any cold windows works really well as a quick fix insulator, it will actually stick to the window using some water)

- Doubled up insulation in the attic of the house - but most importantly didn't forget about sealing the attic door correctly.

In short for a 3 bed semi D, I found my front door, landing, attic door were mainly the culprit.

Using the babys room thermometer have noticed an increase of 2 degrees during the middle of the night (not very scientific I know, but certainly the house 'feels' warmer.)

Back