3`s New Skype Phone

Cityliving

Having had a less then informative chat with a 3 employee I was wondering if anyone know of more stuff about this new phone.

From what I hear you will be able to call any Skype a/c free from the hand set and that presumably means the 3 handsets themselves. Can you just call someone straight off the bat on the 3 phone or do you have to call them tell them to go onto skype hang up and call again?

It sounds almost too good to be true.

I thought you could only call other skype handsets so you would have to presuade all your friends to get one. I could be wrong though. I think its a good idea. Certainly better than the overhyped apple phone!

Skype to Skype is free. Skype to other numbers via SkypeOut (if available in this package) is charged.

Oh I understand the skype to skype call thing its just that it seems that you are on the 3 network then you have to select a button to go onto skype.

The question I have is that if I av to do that do I have to call my mate on the 3 network hang up both go on skype then call again?

I also use the 3 3G broadband unit which will presumabley operate over the smae network. I find skype on this network is jumpy from my laptop could I expect the same service here as its the same network?

Want to ask about these. At the mo on vodafone on pay as you go.

So the free calls are to other skype users but what if I am in the Uk and Miss Gunner is at home ?

After reading on boards is it the below

just a note u have to top up by 10 euro a month and u only get 4000 min so its not totally free. Skype calls only in a Three 3g area. Regular calls everywhere

Anyone have one and are texts and calls free with no hidden catch etc

Do I have to give 3 a monthly fee etc ?

Going to call into 3 shop but would only get the usual bull from the assistant

Anyone got one and are they worth it?

I sue skype to call landlines. I paid €10 over a year ago to skype and still haven't used it up. I don't make a lot of calls, but this did include a 31/2 hour call to the UK which cost about €4.

I just use the speakers and the mike in the webcam. I did have a headset with a mike attached but I prefer to be wireless.

I think €99 for a skype phone is excesssive.

You can receive calls on your skype phone but only if you register with an appropriate service provider, and a fee will be charged for this.

Think about why you want a skype phone. If its just to make cheap calls then you don't really need one. If you want to be able to recive calls then you will need one, but I'm pretty sure there are much cheaper skype phones available.

This should help answer some of your questions:
[broken link removed]
and here's a demo:
[broken link removed]

If you have a phone like a Nokia E65 you should be able to load skype onto it, connect to a wireless broadband network and use skype - 3 seem to be doing the same thing, except instead of connecting to a wireless network they are using their own broadband network to route the skype calls (this could be wrong :eek: , but this is what I understood from what I have read on it so far :D )

The way I heard it on Newstalk this morning (but stand to be corrected) - you buy a Skype phone for 99 Euros, pay 20 euros a month and that's it. You can use it to make calls to any other Skype user free after that. It doesn't need a computer, broadband etc, just the phone and away you go. 3G are the only providers at present but expect others to follow. Apparently its similar to normal mobiles but is not the same as the one used on computer.

The way I heard it on Newstalk this morning (but stand to be corrected) - you buy a Skype phone for 99 Euros, pay 20 euros a month and that's it. You can use it to make calls to any other Skype user free after that. It doesn't need a computer, broadband etc, just the phone and away you go. 3G are the only providers at present but expect others to follow. Apparently its similar to normal mobiles but is not the same as the one used on computer.

That sounds not bad. However can you call skype users who are roaming abroad for free ? Are there any catches ? And can you call out using skype for free whilst roaming abroad ? And can you call computers anywhere in the world for free?

*note by 'free' I of course meant 'flat rate'. Sometimes marketing hype would have us believe everythings free even while we pay*

Last edited by a moderator:
Back