3 day week/jba question

Mrs_Doyle

Hi there

Ive been told from august im being cut to a 3 day week. My boss said she will give me the relevant letter to apply for social welfare payment. She said its only until business picks back up but because she dosent know when that is its pretty permanent i would think. My question is i will be entitled to jobseekers benefit. Some people from their posts are on 3 day weeks and claiming the other 3 days and some people are only claiming 2 days and im a bit confused as to why this is the case. If my boss states in her letter that my situation is only for a short while will this effect the rate of pay i get.. as i see it im being put from full time to part time. I have no problem in getting a further job on the days im not working as im well able to work but with the recession in full swing i think that might be v. difficult.

thanks in advance.

As long as you're available for, and seeking full-time work, and have sufficient PRSI contributions, you should be eligible for Jobseeker's Benefit (JB) for the days you're not working with your current employer.

There are many people signing on in this manner at the moment, where their employer has cut hours as a temporary or long-term measure.

Is there any income limit on this? For example, a friend of mine with a salary of 100k has been put on a 3 day week which means his salary is reduced to 60k. Can someone with an income of 60k claim unemployment for 2 days a week?

Yes. It is not means tested and the payment will be for 2 days or 2/5 of the full rate of JB.
Systematic short-time benefit is not taxable

Thanks for the replies im hoping i wont have to claim that just yet maybe il be able to get some temping in between thanks again

Hi Guys,

I've also just found out that my hours have been cut to three days a week commencing next Monday and I'm also a bit confused about the whole 3 days or 2 days that social welfare pay you. Some people are saying that Saturdays are considered a working day so they pay for that - can anyone clear this up? Trying to sort out a budget for myself!

Also, does anyone know if my TRS will increase as a result of the shorter working week? And if so what I would have to do to get this sorted?

This is all very new to me so any help would be great :)

Thanks

Hi Guys,

I've also just found out that my hours have been cut to three days a week commencing next Monday and I'm also a bit confused about the whole 3 days or 2 days that social welfare pay you. Some people are saying that Saturdays are considered a working day so they pay for that - can anyone clear this up? Trying to sort out a budget for myself!

Also, does anyone know if my TRS will increase as a result of the shorter working week? And if so what I would have to do to get this sorted?

This is all very new to me so any help would be great :)

Thanks
Its definitely 3 days, Saturday is considered a working day. If you worked Friday/Saturday/Sunday you would get 4 days JB as Sunday is not considered a working day.

Back