3 data modem incredibly slow!

hgd

i tried out the 3 data modem in drumcondra last night. it promised speeds of up to 3.6Mbps. it was telling me that i was getting the full HSDPA signal in the area, however when i speed tested the connection it was only giving me speeds of 40kbps!!!! i was told in the shop that there was practically no contention ratio but when i rang their customer support last night, they said it was because there were so many people using it at the same time!! what a load of kak!

would have gone the vodafone route myself at this stage. they have a more established infrastructure. would give 3 about a year or so to settle in and iron out the wrinkles.

i tried out the 3 data modem in drumcondra last night. it promised speeds of up to 3.6Mbps. it was telling me that i was getting the full HSDPA signal in the area, however when i speed tested the connection it was only giving me speeds of 40kbps!!!! i was told in the shop that there was practically no contention ratio but when i rang their customer support last night, they said it was because there were so many people using it at the same time!! what a load of kak!
The service is grossly over subscribed in some areas. If there are more than 7 customers connected to a cell it starts to affect service quality in the way you described.

I would head back to 3 for a refund.

im with 3 and use a nokia n73 as a bluetooth modem. i think its great as the coverage is excellant and the speed is i think, about 200kbps which is more than adequate for occasional use.

I'm using the Vodafone version of the 3G USB modem. Speeds yesterday (daytime) were around 800kbps where I am (just outside Trim).

From other discussions I've seen, I would consider the Mobile Broadband solutions as just slightly better than dial up. But vastly cheaper than dialup.

Its not even close to a DSL/ASDL connection over a phoneline or TV cable. So don't be expecting that.

hgd said:
what are the speeds like during peek times?

After 6pm, weekdays, I am seeing around 200k, although a couple of times I did get around 40k - overall though, I get better than 200k. I don't use it much after 6pm anyway, so not really bothered.

aircobra19:
Mobile Broadband solutions as just slightly better than dial up

Up to a couple of weeks ago, I used UTV Fixed rate dialup and the best I could ever get was 46kbps. Over the past two weeks, i am consistantly around 700-800k (daytime), 15 times better than my dialup. I work from home two days a week and the performance, using the the same remote apps, is a VAST improvement over dialup.

Also, I have no other choice. My exchange is not on any of the over-hyped lists of Eircom future BB upgrades. Wireless is out of range for my location too.

Last edited:
I used UTV Fixed rate dialup and the best I could ever get was 46kbps.
Was that the initial connection speed or dynamic throughput speed as measured by some sort of speed testing tool? The former is not really a good indication of dynamic/ongoing throughput.

Back