3% charge using Halifax Debit card on-line 1800Hotels.com

• Thread starter irishpancake
  • Start date
I

irishpancake

Hi there.

I have just booked a week-end break with www.1800Hotels.ie

I paid in full with my Halifax Visa Debit card, and on the check-out I was charged a 3% fee, which was supposed to apply to Credit Card payments. There was no fee for paying with Laser (Debit) cards.

I have queried the reason for the charge with their customer relations department, given that Laser cards are not charged this 3% surcharge.

I got this reply from 1800Hotels.ie:

As Visa Debit cards are relatively new in Ireland, our system is not yet set up to differentiate between credit and debit cards. We get charged a 3% fee for every transaction made on Visa or MasterCard, irrespective or whether or not they are credit or debit cards.

Unfortunately, we have to pass on these charges to our clients.

Enjoy your stay in xxxxx

Can anyone verify if in fact they can apply this surcharge with a Debit Card.

Also, where can I go to check if they are actually charged 3% transaction charges on Debit Card.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont know anything about these charges but wonder why did you use them at all? I recently booked a week-end away. I tried 1800hotels for a quote and it far exceeded the price given to me by applying direct to the hotel.

What they are saying is true -- to systems that aren't setup for VISA debit, these look exactly like VISA credit cards. Their payment processor probably treats them as credit cards too, and applies the credit card levy.

I would definately get on to Halifax and get them to pay up or at least enquire why you should get charged for using their debit card! It can't be good publicity for them - users getting hit with a 3% charge.

At least worth a try etc..mention the alternative!

I can tell you that my bank treats any visa debit cards as credit cards and they charge me 2.5% instead of a flat €0.25 for laser.

I dont know anything about these charges but wonder why did you use them at all? I recently booked a week-end away. I tried 1800hotels for a quote and it far exceeded the price given to me by applying direct to the hotel.

Hi there oldtimer

I would invariably check out all these sites:

www.alpharooms.com
www.hotels.com
www.roomex.com
www.hotelsireland.ie
www.booking.com
www.irelandhotels.com
www.1800hotels.ie
www.hotelclub.com

before checking with any Hotel site.

Usually you will get a break at a much reduced rate than that offered by the Hotel.

For example, the break I have booked through 1800Hotels cost me €349 (+3%)

The same break, same accomodation, same dates, direct with the Hotel would have cost €450 :cool:

New information on this from the National Consumer Agency:

Dear Mr. Irish Pancake ,

Thank you for contacting the National Consumer Agency (NCA) with your query.

According to your email you have a query regarding a surcharge put in place by www.1800hotels.ie.

When purchasing online you may be subject to additional charges. These may include a "handling fee" for card transactions and service/administration charges. Under current consumer protection legislation, once the consumer is made fully aware of the total price payable, inclusive of all taxes, fees and charges, before deciding whether or not to complete their transaction, the websites’ current method of advertising is not in breach of any piece of consumer protection legislation enforced by this office.

The Consumer Protection Act 2007 was enacted on May 1st 2007 with the exception of sections 48 and 49. Under section 48 of the Consumer Protection Act 2007, it is proposed that traders who accept several payment methods for goods or services will not be allowed to impose an extra charge on the price if customers choose one payment method rather than another. Under section 49 traders who only accept payment by one method (and who would therefore not be subject to Section 48) must include any charges in the advertised price of the goods or services.

In August 2007, the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment sought the views of the public, retailers and other interested parties on the impact of the proposed sections 48 & 49. The Department is currently conducting a limited regulatory impact analysis in relation to sections 48 and 49. A decision on the commencement of Sections 48 and 49 will be taken by the Minister upon consideration of the public consultation and regulatory impact analysis.

We trust you will find this information useful and if you have any further consumer related questions please contact us on 1890 432 432.

Yours Sincerely

So it appears this would not have happened if the relevant section of the Consumer Protection Act had been fully implemented.

Yet another "public consultation" to delay the implementation of proper consumer protection.

It is the fault of the merchant's bank. They charge the merchant. He passes on the charge to you.

Back