Motor 3 car accident - I'm last car - my insurance for all 3 cars?

Lorz

I was involved in a 3 car accident. First car parked/stopped on road on bend, second car tried to go around her but then stopped as on bend and I hit second car. First time in accident - 3 ambulances - have comprehensive insurance but worried about what happens next...

Do I need to make statement to Gardai?
Can I be prosecuted by Gardai?
Will the other 2 cars claim off my insurance? OR
Does car 1 claim off car 2 insurance and car 2 claim off mine?
How will the claim(s) affect my premium (up in 3 weeks!) Is a claim a claim or will they consider total value of all claims, who was at fault, etc?

Do you have ncb protection on your policy?
Your post is not clear,but in general,you claim from the car who hit your rear ie car 1 claims off car 2 and car 2 claims off car 3.
One bit of advice,write down the whole incident now while it is fresh in your memory.This includes speed limit on road,position of cars,weather,road markings,road condition,name adddress of any witness etc

Unfortunately I don't have NCB Protection- never had an accident (not even a tip) but envisaged I wouldn't make a claim even if I did but this looks like it will cost a lot! Don't think there were any witnesses - just the 3 drivers. I was in car 3. We were all taken away by ambulance. I have no names or pictures.

to answer your queries:

1) you do NOT have to make a statement to Gardai. if others do, then those statements can be used in a prosecution against you.

2) You CAN be prosecuted by Gardai. They can wait for 6 months to issue summons, so you will not be in the clear for that period. If others were injured, there is a greater chance that you will be prosecuted. Given the current state of the economy, it is also more likely that you will be prosecuted as it is a way of collecting money for the state.

3) from what you say, it seems that you hit car 2 pushing it into car 1. Therefore you are fully responsible and your policy will pick up 100% of the tab.

4) You will lose your NCB. As vandriver says, you will see your premium at least double. If you are on full NCB, you have a 50% discount - prem €400 less NCB = €200 payable. without NCB you are back to the €400. The amount insurer pays out does not matter.

Thanks Ravima - that's been very informative. Thankfully never had to deal with this before. I'll call Gardai tomorrow to get names of other drivers and then get onto my insurance company.

Back