2nd class & Communion - still a given?

Catholics aren't the only people who believe in those things. Just because you don't want to be Catholic doesn't mean you automatically have no faith.

Ok, then tell them that the Catholic religion is incorrect, but maybe water down the 2000 year old zombie part.

Give respect, get respect.

That's the GAA coming out in you. :D

(for ye non-believers in the one true faith (i.e. the GAA), "Give Respect, Get Respect" is an initiative to get people to stop abusing the ref ..... abusing the ref being one of the unofficial tenents/traditions of the GAA that most of us indulge in, to one extent or other:eek:)

that's the gaa coming out in you. :d

(for ye non-believers in the one true faith (i.e. The gaa), "give respect, get respect" is an initiative to get people to stop abusing the ref ..... Abusing the ref being one of the unofficial tenents/traditions of the gaa that most of us indulge in, to one extent or other:eek:)

Touché :D

Nobody is asking you have respect for those individuals but you should have some respect for people who believe in God and might take offence at having him referred to as a 2000 year Zombie. Respect and tolerance for other peoples beliefs is not a one way thing.

I totally agree with this. Some of your posts Birroc have been really offensive and you seem to have started this thread to have a go at the Catholic Church while disguising it as a discussion about your child not making their First Holy Communion.

In my experience (2 children, same school) that does not happen. When my children made their fHC, no-one was excluded. Children of a different faith and of no faith were all included. Most, if not all, were kitted out in usual outfits, and parents, and were fully involved on the day. When the time came for each child to receive the sacrament, those who were not there to do so, received a blessing from the priest.

You get that kind of bullying nonsense from kids of that age about Premiership teams, choice of music, brand of runners, etc. It betrays the values of the parents involved, not faith.

And, FWIW, when at Mass, I'm a 'front-rower'. Not because I'm a zealot, but to keep an eye on my altar server son and hiss prompts to him when his attention wanders ;).
That's my experience as well. I don't believe in God but I have no major problem with RC teaching on the ground; most priests I know are good open-minded people who spend their time doing good and helping people. I detest and despise the hierarchy of the RC Church and in particular the man who runs it.

After all, parents allow there kids dress up at Halloween and they don't believe in ghosts. Same principle.
:D I like that. I fully intend to use it!

Can someone explain to me why comparing religious belief to believing in ghosts does not seem to be seen as offensive, but comparing a man who rose from the dead to a zombie is :confused:

Because one is a general comment and the other is a specific reference.

Why is it offensive?
Seriously? You wonder why it might be offensive to a Catholic to refer to their god as a zombie? Saying anything derogatory about someone’s god is bound to be offensive but answering your specific question, the belief is that This post will be deleted if not edited immediately returned from the dead fully functioning – not as an animated corpse capable of movement but no conscious thought and most likely controlled by some nefarious power for evil doings (know any ‘good zombie’ stories?).
I personally think the Church of Ireland view on the bread and wine as representing the body and blood (as opposed to actually being the body and blood) is a far more reasonable proposition but again, the comment here is offensively phrased, probably for shock value.
I am pretty far lapsed from the Catholic Church as I hate the unnecessary rules and need to control people’s lives (and I’m with Purple on the hierarchy) but I do miss the sense of community and belonging so if I ever return to religion (hedging my bets later in life...), it will probably be to the Church of Ireland which has the same basic beliefs but seems to seek less control over individuals lives.
I think a lot of the vitriol on here is directed at the Catholic Church for some of its many failings over the years – many people are justifiably angry and have turned their backs on the church – but the comment would be offensive to most Christians who don’t view their god as a 2,000 year old zombie...

Thanks for your comments folks. Apologies for the zombie comment, I was being silly and I dont want to challenge other people's beliefs. Live and let live.

I am not anti-RCC on this issue and I have no problems with the School who were very understanding and accepting. I just want people to appreciate that some children will take part in Catholic rituals and some wont. It shouldn't be a complete unheard of surprise which seems to apply to most people over 40. I don't want my child feeling like some kind of outcast missing out on something wonderful.

"My mammy says that children that don't do communion hate God".
. This is atrocious grammar, even for schoolkid, and demonstrates poor knowledge of pronouns. You should have words with the English teacher.

Thanks for your comments folks. Apologies for the zombie comment, I was being silly and I dont want to challenge other people's beliefs. Live and let live.

I am not anti-RCC on this issue and I have no problems with the School who were very understanding and accepting. I just want people to appreciate that some children will take part in Catholic rituals and some wont. It shouldn't be a complete unheard of surprise which seems to apply to most people over 40. I don't want my child feeling like some kind of outcast missing out on something wonderful.

When something is the norm for so long, then it is a surprise when someone doesn't just go along with it. When your kids are parents things may have changed, but it really is going against the grain at the moment. Your child probably will feel like they are missing out, but you could always plan something for that day and let them have that to look forward to instead.

but you could always plan something for that day and let them have that to look forward to instead.

The whole communion thing was discussued in the Times a few months ago and there was a parent in exactly the same position as Birroc, and this is exactly what the principal of the school recommended.

but you could always plan something for that day and let them have that to look forward to instead.

Yes we are planning a few days away and a nice new dress (may not be white - probably red with horns on top :))

Seriously? You wonder why it might be offensive to a Catholic to refer to their god as a zombie? Saying anything derogatory about someone’s god is bound to be offensive but answering your specific question, the belief is that This post will be deleted if not edited immediately returned from the dead fully functioning – not as an animated corpse capable of movement but no conscious thought and most likely controlled by some nefarious power for evil doings (know any ‘good zombie’ stories?).

Im sorry, I dont see any offense in jokingly comparing one supernatural being with another.

What I do find offensive is non evidential matters of opinion on supernatural beings being taught alongside maths and language as matters of fact to children who are too young to have developed the critical thinking necessary to distinguish what is real from what is not.

What I do find offensive is non evidential matters of opinion on supernatural beings being taught alongside maths and language as matters of fact to children who are too young to have developed the critical thinking necessary to distinguish what is real from what is not.

Christmas Day must be some craic in your house :rolleyes:.

"Sorry kids. You're only allowed to believe in things that are evidentially true"

Here's another angle. If a person hasn't been baptised, as far as I'm aware, (s)he is not entitled to receive any of the other six sacraments. This is why a priest must first baptise a dying non-Catholic before administering Extreme Unction, for example (and he'd better bring a few strong lads with him if he tries it on me).

So tell the shocked parents that, regrettably, the Catholic Church's own rules would make it a mortal sin on your part to allow your daughter to participate in FHC or Confirmation, and that the thought of her parents burning in Hell unto all eternity has put her off joining in the joyous event.

Simples.

Back