2nd class & Communion - still a given?

Fair enough. :)

That said, I wouldn't be taking at face value, schoolyard tittle tattle like "My mammy says that children that don't do communion hate God". Sadly, kids often go out of their way to way to be as cruel as they can to each other.

Yeah maybe but it was Day #3 in 2nd class so we'll have to monitor that.
I know the mother and I am fairly convinced she said it alright - one of those front rowers at church on Sundays.

Yeah maybe but it was Day #3 in 2nd class so we'll have to monitor that.
I know the mother and I am fairly convinced she said it alright - one of those front rowers at church on Sundays.

I don't know about 'front rowers' but I would count as a nutcase, anyone who would say something like that to a child. That said, it may still be true.

Not baptised.

They are not mean/rude but it's often "Really? Seriously? Why not? Oh you will miss out on having a lovely white dress" and they always look so sad/forlorn etc. My child has only started 2nd class but does she have to endure a school year of that? I was brought up RC myself but the whole communion 'gig' kinda creeps me out now.

One of the other girls in the class did say "My mammy says that children that don't do communion hate God". Not ideal.

I presume you have told your child that there is no God, no heaven etc, so whats the problem?

I presume you have told your child that there is no God, no heaven etc, so whats the problem?

Catholics aren't the only people who believe in those things. Just because you don't want to be Catholic doesn't mean you automatically have no faith.

Whats wrong with simply going along with the whole FHC from a cultural/social perspective! I know lots of irreligious / areligious people who go for the full church wedding for the same reasons.

I'll probably be slapped down for saying this but I don't think your child should have been permitted into the school if she was not going to partake in its teachings.

When mine were younger they attended the local COI school. There was constant tension from non believers who thought their attendence at the school would get them into better Universities etc ~rolls eyes~ Some even had the cheek not to want to attend service.

Call me old fashioned but I think if you don't go along with the rules then you don't have a place there.

I'll probably be slapped down for saying this but I don't think your child should have been permitted into the school if she was not going to partake in its teachings.

When mine were younger they attended the local COI school. There was constant tension from non believers who thought their attendence at the school would get them into better Universities etc ~rolls eyes~ Some even had the cheek not to want to attend service.

Call me old fashioned but I think if you don't go along with the rules then you don't have a place there.

The problem is 98% of schools are Catholic (or there abouts ) so people have little choice.
What do you do if you live in a small town and the nearest non religious/ non catholic school is 50 miles away in the big city?

Catholic schools in Ireland receive state funding. Therefore in my opinion if a school is in reciept of state funds it must accommodate all citizens of the state.

Whats wrong with simply going along with the whole FHC from a cultural/social perspective! I know lots of irreligious / areligious people who go for the full church wedding for the same reasons.

I have no interest in my kid making his communion. But when the time comes and if he wants to make it "for the occasion" then I will get him the suit and bring him to the church and sit him next to me, away from the class if I have to.

After all, parents allow there kids dress up at Halloween and they don't believe in ghosts. Same principle.

Are there many choices for parents other than the tiny number of Educate Together schools though?

Why does everyone automatically assume that a child will be doing communion when they go into 2nd class?

My daughter is attending a Catholic ethos school but we have opted out of communion along with several others parents. But every adult as soon as they hear my daughter is in 2nd class automatically assumes they will be 'enjoying' communion and then they look so glum when we tell them she wont be. It's not fair on our child.

This is 2012! Maybe just maybe some people have realised that the Roman Catholic Church does not put children's interests first and is a disfunctional organisation (I am being nice) and should possibly be avoided...

1. This is no big deal, if you want to opt out of First Communion, then do it, anything else for you to do would be hypocritical.

2. First Communion is a big deal for many parents and it would only be a friendly talking point concerning children in 2nd Class. Please dont do the "condemned martyr" thing.

3. If you have problems with the Catholic Church you are entitled to your beliefs. But, leave others to THEIR beliefs also.

Give respect, get respect.

Really, now let me see, Cardinal Brady, respect, I don't think so. Bishop Kirby (no doubt in charge of many schools) and probably doing Confirmations, respect, no I don't think so either.

They are not mean/rude but it's often "Really? Seriously? Why not? Oh you will miss out on having a lovely white dress" and they always look so sad/forlorn etc.

People really have their priorities right.

Really, now let me see, Cardinal Brady, respect, I don't think so. Bishop Kirby (no doubt in charge of many schools) and probably doing Confirmations, respect, no I don't think so either.

Nobody is asking you have respect for those individuals but you should have some respect for people who believe in God and might take offence at having him referred to as a 2000 year Zombie. Respect and tolerance for other peoples beliefs is not a one way thing.

And what about freedom of speech Sunny? I've come though Catholic Ireland and it is those that believe in that institution that will have to earn my respect, not the other way around.

I have no disrespect for people's beliefs by the way, I might think they are nuts, but that's not being disrespectful. In any case this is LOS so what's the problem with Birroc's comments. If one doesn't want contrary views one should subscribe to one of the RCC's magazine's the one's that are ever so carefully controlled as to what might be said. Take Brian D'arcy and other RC priests, they can only write after having their documents checked, do you think we should do that on AAM.

Anyway I'm best of leaving this subject (RCC) as it will only drive me nuts.

Oh you will miss out on having a lovely white dress" and they always look so sad/forlorn etc.

In my experience (2 children, same school) that does not happen. When my children made their fHC, no-one was excluded. Children of a different faith and of no faith were all included. Most, if not all, were kitted out in usual outfits, and parents, and were fully involved on the day. When the time came for each child to receive the sacrament, those who were not there to do so, received a blessing from the priest.

One of the other girls in the class did say "My mammy says that children that don't do communion hate God". Not ideal.

You get that kind of bullying nonsense from kids of that age about Premiership teams, choice of music, brand of runners, etc. It betrays the values of the parents involved, not faith.

And, FWIW, when at Mass, I'm a 'front-rower'. Not because I'm a zealot, but to keep an eye on my altar server son and hiss prompts to him when his attention wanders ;).

And what about freedom of speech Sunny? I've come though Catholic Ireland and it is those that believe in that institution that will have to earn my respect, not the other way around.

I have no disrespect for people's believes by the way, I might think they are nuts, but that's not being disrespectful.

We all came through Catholic Ireland.

You are being disrespectful by saying "Perhaps in 20-30 years time parents asking their children to eat the body and blood of a 2000 year old zombie might be the exception rather than the rule". It's their faith so why ridicule them for believing it.

I am not a practicing Catholic by the way. I don't have any time for any religion but doesn't mean I don't respect those that do.

I have no disrespect for people's beliefs by the way, I might think they are nuts, but that's not being disrespectful. In any case this is LOS so what's the problem with Birroc's comments. If one doesn't want contrary views one should subscribe to one of the RCC's magazine's the one's that are ever so carefully controlled as to what might be said. Take Brian D'arcy and other RC priests, they can only write after having their documents checked, do you think we should do that on AAM.

No-one had a problem with Birroc's comments.

Chainged my mind about this post. Too dangerous, it's about another religion, but actually it is way too dangerous to say anything.

You are being disrespectful by saying "Perhaps in 20-30 years time parents asking their children to eat the body and blood of a 2000 year old zombie might be the exception rather than the rule".
No-one had a problem with Birroc's comments.
In fairness to Bronte, it was Birroc who made the original zombie comment - which I agree is unnecessarily offensive.

Back