2nd class & Communion - still a given?

Birroc

Why does everyone automatically assume that a child will be doing communion when they go into 2nd class?

My daughter is attending a Catholic ethos school but we have opted out of communion along with several others parents. But every adult as soon as they hear my daughter is in 2nd class automatically assumes they will be 'enjoying' communion and then they look so glum when we tell them she wont be. It's not fair on our child.

This is 2012! Maybe just maybe some people have realised that the Roman Catholic Church does not put children's interests first and is a disfunctional organisation (I am being nice) and should possibly be avoided...

If you read the results of the last census you will find out why. Most people still think they are Catholic*.

* They just skip the boring bits like going to mass and believing in God.

What are you asking the question now, and not 4 years ago when you chose to put your child into that school ? The Catholic ethos and the time taken in second and sixth classes, to prepare the children for the scarament, were known then and implicitly agreed to by you.

Why does everyone automatically assume that a child will be doing communion when they go into 2nd class?

My daughter is attending a Catholic ethos school but we have opted out of communion along with several others parents. But every adult as soon as they hear my daughter is in 2nd class automatically assumes they will be 'enjoying' communion and then they look so glum when we tell them she wont be. It's not fair on our child.

This is 2012! Maybe just maybe some people have realised that the Roman Catholic Church does not put children's interests first and is a disfunctional organisation (I am being nice) and should possibly be avoided...

Children for generations and generations have been making their Communion once they reach 7 or 8 so it is only natural that people will assume it with your children. In the same way that I'm sure you assume that most people will celebrate Christmas or Easter regardless of their religious beliefs.

I do agree though that if people don't practice their religion or actively despise the Church it is hypocritical of them to continue to present their children for the sacrament.

Birroc,
I posted a comment on another thread about this. I was also taken aback at how shocked some people were that our child would not be making communion. The difference in our case is that is not a catholic school.
There is arrangments with the local catholic school if parents want their children to do it and some are. The main reason given is they are afraid to tell the grandparents.
It's strange because the way I see it is, the grandparents are religious but the parents are not. But when the parents become grandparents themselves they won't be that bothered about the sacrments so the whole thing could die out (especially if it is done outside of school hours).

What are you asking the question now, and not 4 years ago when you chose to put your child into that school ? The Catholic ethos and the time taken in second and sixth classes, to prepare the children for the scarament, were known then and implicitly agreed to by you.

Its not the school - the school and teachers are fine. Quite a number of kids opting out for whatever reason.

I am talking about the general public continuing to think that communion is a given despite what the RCC have done, and continue to do.

Its not the school - the school and teachers are fine. Quite a number of kids opting out for whatever reason.

I am talking about the general public continuing to think that communion is a given despite what the RCC have done, and continue to do.

Children making their first Holy Communion is the norm in families that are, if only nominally, Catholic. It is reasonable for others to assume that a child in second class will be making their Communion; either the sacrament, or being included in the day if not receiving.

I'm surprised that you're surprised.

Was your child baptised? I doubt people are that shocked to be honest. They just made an assumption that proved to be incorrect. Are you saying people abused you or treated you or your child differently?

It's not unknown for children to demand of their parents that they be allowed to take part in the First Communion preparation and ceremonies, if only (presumably) to fit in with the majority of their peers.

Was your child baptised? I doubt people are that shocked to be honest. They just made an assumption that proved to be incorrect. Are you saying people abused you or treated you or your child differently?

Not baptised.

They are not mean/rude but it's often "Really? Seriously? Why not? Oh you will miss out on having a lovely white dress" and they always look so sad/forlorn etc. My child has only started 2nd class but does she have to endure a school year of that? I was brought up RC myself but the whole communion 'gig' kinda creeps me out now.

One of the other girls in the class did say "My mammy says that children that don't do communion hate God". Not ideal.

Was there much difficulty getting your child into a RC school?

Actually no it wasn't but we knew the principal. Sometimes they just assume it - I know people that were never asked for the baptismal cert.

you could always opt to live in a non catholic country, but is it really worth the bother! everything passes given enough time.

you could always opt to live in a non catholic country, but is it really worth the bother! everything passes given enough time.

Maybe you're right but the pace of change seems very slow.

Perhaps in 20-30 years time parents asking their children to eat the body and blood of a 2000 year old zombie might be the exception rather than the rule.

Fair enough. :)

That said, I wouldn't be taking at face value, schoolyard tittle tattle like "My mammy says that children that don't do communion hate God". Sadly, kids often go out of their way to way to be as cruel as they can to each other.

Back