Have you looked up Expatica Portugal,
I know people who work remotely getting Irish wage levels and other Countries lifestyles tax and public services, I do not know anyone remotely working from Portugal, retired yes but not remotely working, I would investigate tax and long term public services along with lifestyles,
The people I know are glad they rented first until they got to know the Country they were planning to move to, before buying their house,

I need to do more research about taxes etc but the company I'm with I'm allowed work from anywhere
Really? I'd double check that.

If you're an employee and working in Portugal, they'll end up paying Portugese social insurance (23.75% from employer). They could also end up wuth Portugese corporation tax liabilities. It's a nightmare for employers dealing with different countries, so it's unusual unless they've an office in Portugal that they can employ you through.

Cant comment on tax if working there, but they do have a non habitual resident scheme.

I would review your plan for the smallest possible mortgage. Interest rates there are very low. Depending on longevity of your plans it may make sense to make the most of the low rates and make the cheapest loan of your life your biggest. However, it requires some thought, as while interest rates are low, that is where the fun stops. The government, solicitors and estate agents know how to charge. Estate agents charge 5%, albeit this is normally for the seller to pay. There is hefty tax to pay though called IMT, the exact number may vary but 7-8% of purchase price springs to mind.

Back