22% Rise in Gas Prices "approved" by Reg - how can this be?!!

If you have strong views on the proposed price rise, you can submit your views to the CER consultation process;

15% of volume consumption of Bord Gais sales is to residential customers, the rest to industrial, power gen etc. Cost of sales is 2010 was €924m. At a guess 75% of this is the purchase of gas ( would welcome better info!). So that would give about €100m being spent on purchase of gas for residential business.

Probably lots of flaws with the above calculation but with 2010 operating profits of c.€200m, could Bord Gais absorb €35m rise in the price of raw materials for residential gas customers? I'm only saying :)

I have my doubts about this, of course it depends on where you source gas, but US Natural Gas prices have actually fallen over the last 12 months and while Russian Natural Gas prices have been a bit more bumpy, over all they are down too.

My supplier here in Switzerland, sources mainly from Russia and we've seen no price changes of the past 12 months.

Jim.

The US now exports gas due to 'fracking' and therefore can control their prices internally. Thus no increases.
Swiss companies may have hedged gas for longer than BG as they may be able to afford to do so.

I think this says it all
[broken link removed]

OK, had a long chat with SWMBO about this as she is the one paying the bills and it seems I was missing an important part of the equation: in most countries retail gas prices are pegged against crude oil prices!!!

Now I'm having a hard time getting my head around this, but if you look at the chart for Brent over the past 12 months sure enough the price has been rising!

SWMBO, although often confusing is seldom wrong and this link on the [broken link removed] posted by another OP, seems to suggest the oil prices do play a role in the over all calculation!

SWMBO, also tells me that the Swiss boys have been involved in massive hedging over the past while, which is why we are not seeing any price increases here yet - I hate the 'yet' bit!!! :eek:

If this is really the case, then who is making all the money in this game???

Jim.

statistics although correct in what they are reporting are always used to represent something they are not designed to compare.

For example the gas and electricity prices per KWH are great but what do other countries charge for the "Standing charge" and now the extra charge/lack of discount for not singing up for DD and CC processing charges. I would be fine with DD except they take what ever they estimate the bill to be and if an error should occur it is up to you to do all the chasing and still you will NOT get your money back. They will credit your bill with the amount.

My friend had 2K taken from his account in a transaction error and it took him 2 months of hounding to get the amount corrected.

Anyway now im rambling. Im just saying id like a cost comparison done with all stealth taxes, car tax, VRT fuel tax, Poll tax or house charges etc on a european level to be compared and then we start to talk.

Well, don't agree. Standing charges represent the cost of developing infrastructure, Price per kWh presensent the cost of generating and delivery of energy.

Plus, these are not statistics, they are costs.

Well, don't agree. Standing charges represent the cost of developing infrastructure, Price per kWh presensent the cost of generating and delivery of energy.

Plus, these are not statistics, they are c
osts.

But you are aware that the standing charge now varies from supplier to Supplier, so ESB charge a lower rate that Airtricity for sc and I read or heard that with the New BGE increase their standing charge is going up by 12% as well. Personally this is one of my big bugbears. Company A can say we are only chargine say 10c per unit but if their standing charge per day is significantly dearer than Company B its meaningless

Back