21 weeks pregnant and made redundant

M

MNF_R

Hi
The IT company whom I worked for full time for the last three years made me redundant yesterday. I am 21 weeks pregnant and due on June 14th.They have given me a months notice and statutory redundancy. I wasn't the only one- a last in first out situation.
I am a bit confused about what I am entitled to as I was expecting paid maternity leave!
So I have a few questions:
Am I entitled to state maternity leave? I have paid PRSI for the last 8 years.
I think that I might not be as I need to be working 14 weeks before my due date is that correct?
If I get short term contract between now and June and lets say it ends on May 1st then am i entitled to state maternity leave? If i am not working because my contract has ended then can I go on maternity leave? (As i wont be leaving a job!)
Is there a difference between maternity benefit and maternity leave?
I'm all confused.
Also should i go on the dole while i am looking for work? Will this affect my maternity benefit?
Any advise would be very much appreciated.
Thanks
M

Sorry to hear about the bombshell you got in the middle of what should be a happy time for you.
Sign on for credits immediately you finish work to preserve your entitlements.

Would you consider applying for your Maternity leave now before you finish work. You must be within 16 weeks of your due date, so if you are 21 weeks now and you have 4 weeks left at work your application could be made during your last working week. You would therefore be starting your maternity leave on the first day of your unemployment.

Other option is to go on jobseekers benefit as you seem to be looking for employment and if you are not successful you would be allowed(I think) to remain on jobseekers benefit for the same number of weeks as Maternity Benefit covers without the obligation to seek work. Check with Social Welfare

Maternity Leave is the number of weeks you are entitled to take off work(26 weeks)
Maternity Benefit is the State Benefit you receive while you are off

Back