2008 Car Tax - in practice

igloo

Reading the very handy www.vrt.ie site I see a note regarding 2008 cars (pre July):

>New cars registered between 1 January 2008 and 30 June 2008 will initially have their motor tax charged on the basis of the existing engine size (c.c.) system. However, a low CO2 emitting new car registered between 1 January 2008 and 30 June 2008 will have its motor tax switched to the lower CO2 based motor tax rate on first renewal of motor tax post 1 July 2008, when the new CO2 based system commences.

Has anyone actually put this into practice?

I'm looking at a March 2008 car which has C02 = 164, meaning an annual tax of €430, compared to €530 for its 2007 equivalent.

Cheers

I'm buying a 2008 car that was registered in March 2008. The car tax has lapsed. When I go to renew will I benefit from new C02 ratings?

You usually only have to tax the vehicle from the date on which it was registered in your name. I'd say you'll get the new rate as it's a 2008 car. Your local authority (not the Revenue) are the people to ask.

You will get the tax based on emmissions no problem. The confusion arose when it was announced July 08 was the operative date and then it was realised this would penailise people who bought a new car from Jan 08 onwards. The work round was to buy 6 months tax if you got car in January and then in July avail of the new rate. People who paid 12 months have lost out.

So you are ok.

noah

You usually only have to tax the vehicle from the date on which it was registered in your name. I'd say you'll get the new rate as it's a 2008 car. Your local authority (not the Revenue) are the people to ask.

I thought the Revenue assess taxes, and in this instance the local authority collect them.

Back