2004 Peugeot 407 1.6 Hdi - HELP!

Petrolhead84

I bought a 2004 406 1.6 Hdi last week with 117,000 miles.

It was a private sale, so therefore no warranty.

A day after buying the car a message appeared saying "Depollution System Failure". I immediately brought the car to my mechanic who gave it a full service (filters, oil etc.).

He also recommended that I buy a new battery, which I did.

A day later, a new message appeared - "Engine Management System Faulty". This appears every time I start the car and now the car appears to have gone into 'Safe Mode' - I cannot exceed 3,000RPM.

I think I have bought a dudd and cannot afford Main Dealer prices which, according to the Internet, could run into thosands.

What do I do? :eek:

Car needs coding, the mechanic would have needed to do this after fitting the parts but usually only a main dealer has the equipment, if its only a coding shouldnt cost more than €150, Peugeot in derry charge £50 for this, had an expert there last week with a similar problem.

Car needs coding, the mechanic would have needed to do this after fitting the parts but usually only a main dealer has the equipment, if its only a coding shouldnt cost more than €150, Peugeot in derry charge £50 for this, had an expert there last week with a similar problem.

Just saw this reply to a query and want to clarify. Think you may be confusing the person when you say their car needs 'coding'.
Coding is not a word or procedure that needs to be done after fitting parts.

Depollution System faulty is a generic message for a problem that has happened to the engine management system. Most likely if its a 407 1.6 hdi, i would guess heater plugs but it could in fact be anything.
I'd recommend you to go to a dealer and get a diagnostic check done to see what the problem is.

Back