2001 VW Passat 1.6 €3,500 - opinions?

Sadhbh

Hi, just wondering if anyone knows what a passat is like on petrol and also is €3,500 a good price? Currently looking at a 2001 model with 2 year NCT, garage said they will take a trade in (99 Ford Fiesta) so should be less than €3,500. Are these good cars? Need a family car with a good size boot.

Thanks for any replies :)

Provided mileage and general condition is OK it's a good price.

You'll probably get as many fans as critics of this car though - fans tend to like the badge/image and the size together with a bit of larger car luxury but critics will tell you it's over priced, boring to drive and nowhere near as reliable as VW would have you believe. I'm guessing that it wouldn't be easy on petrol either.

Having said that if the car checks out and it's what you want you can't argue with the price.

I get every car checked out by this crowd: www.carcheckireland.com

(no connection - satisfied customer only)

1.6 will feel a bit gutless and be a bit thirsty in a car that size.

TDI is the only way to go

Spend an extra few quid and get decent diesel
[broken link removed]

I have a 2001 130 Sport have run 60k miles through it still feels tight and goes great easy to get 600 miles to the tank even though I drive it hard.

A well-minded Passat lasts a long time. Mine is 10 years old, and still feels tight -- good response to the controls, no rattles, nothing falling off. I get just under 40mpg with a gentle driving style. I'm happy with the boringness that Caveat sees as a negative point: driving is a functional business, not a game or an adventure.

The boot is reasonably large, but the access can be awkward: things that might comfortably fit in the boot can be too large for the door.

It looks a good price if the car is in good condition for its age. I wouldn't part with mine for that money.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply.

I'll be honest, I don't drive so I haven't a clue about tightness/boring to drive etc. Husband is allergic to computers hence the reason I'm making the enquiries ;)

Our budget is €3,000 plus our trade in, husband lost job so things are tight. Our main priority is something that will do us for a few years and is suitable for a family. We have a young daughter so we need a boot that will take buggy, travel cot, shopping etc and something that won't make us feel crowded with her car seat!

The only other car we seen that seemed like a good deal was a 2003 Nissan Primera 1.6 NCT til 01/11 for €3,950. Would anyone prefer this to the VW?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Have you looked at the Mondeo or Avensis?
The Mondeo is a much nicer car to drive, is very reliable and Fords are much cheaper to service than VW's. I don't know much about the Toyota but I have owned a Passat and a Mondeo (Passat was a 2002, Mondeo was a 1996) and the Mondeo was a far superior car to drive.

tO ME €3.500 FOR A 2001 PASSAT PETROL IS EXPENSIVE, WOULD AGREE THAT THE MONDEO IS RELIBLE AND CHEAP TO SERVICE UN LIKE THE PASSAT
SELL YOUR PRESENT CAR AND THEN GO SHOPPING

tO ME €3.500 FOR A 2001 PASSAT PETROL IS EXPENSIVE, WOULD AGREE THAT THE MONDEO IS RELIBLE AND CHEAP TO SERVICE UN LIKE THE PASSAT
SELL YOUR PRESENT CAR AND THEN GO SHOPPING

I agree but you should read Posting Guideline 3;
3. Please don't post a subject or message in ALL UPPER CASE CHARACTERS

Hello!

I've a 98 Passat and I love her. Yes, she's a she. And yes, she has a name. So yes, I'm one of those sad drivers.

Anyway, I think the Passat is just class. Mine is a 1.8L so is a bit thirsty but not too crazy. I have heard that Passat diesel is the way to go. The older model Passats are also sturdier than the 2005 and onwards models. My poor baby was recently violated by the new model Passat and she made bits of the 2005 model. So the chassis is stronger. Not that I'm entirely sure what a chassis is, of course...

I find it a very comfy car to drive. I do a serious amount of mileage and she's never let me down (I've had her for about 3 years, I think). It's heavy and so you feel a bit more secure. The boot is enormous. I think it leads to Narnia. My central locking is ridiculously loud, but that's about my only complaint.

I was looking to change cars recently, however, and absolutely everyone I spoke to said to get a Toyota Avensis. Diesel. I test drove one and it was nice. I prefer the look of the Passat but I don't think an Avensis will ever let you down (now that's quite a statement!).

Anyway, go for either a 2005 (old model) or younger Passat, diesel. Or a 2003 or newer Avensis. Diesel. In my opinion!

Anyway, go for either a 2005 (old model) or younger Passat, diesel. Or a 2003 or newer Avensis. Diesel. In my opinion!

Certainly not on the OP's budget anyway.

Honda Accord of the same year as the Passat in Q would be my choice given the budget/car type - you might get one for that price.

For the use you specify you should be looking to get a large hatchback (there is no Passat like this) or an estate. Estate Passats hold their value well. I would consider a hatchback Avensis.

Thanks again for all the advice. Thought I'd update you all. Husband decided Passat had too much mileage, 109k miles so that was a no go. Primeras were all sold by the time we went to view them!!

On the plus side went to a few garages and they all seemed to agree we'd get 1k for our little car :D

Now looking at a Nissan Almera saloon 1.5 2002 50k miles for €3,700. Can't find any mondeo's within our budget! hubby would really like one of these. Any thoughts on almeras? We really have to stick to a budget of €3k cash and €1k for our car.

Any thoughts on almeras? We really have to stick to a budget of €3k cash and €1k for our car.

I have one, but objectively I would say:

Pros

Very reliable, fairly roomy, v good crash rating, uncomplicated and easy to drive, fairly economical & cheap to service.

Cons

Bland (even ugly?) to look at and to drive, a little underpowered, poor image.

As it happens none of those cons really bother me personally.

Thanks Caveat. I think the pros definately outweigh the cons! Personally I think they look ok and once they're safe and economical they are a runner with me. Think we'll be going with an almera so! Maybe some day when we're rich we can get a brand new passat : )

Thanks again everyone for all the advice.

The problem I have with Nissans, is the dealers are expensive, and not that helpful in my experience. That said parts can be sourced cheaper, and most of the time an independent mechanic will have no problems with a Nisaan and be much cheaper. Some Nissans are fine and others have problems with suspension parks etc. We had a old Micra that went for ever, but a Primera gave us endless trouble with things. Theres a thread here with info on Almera's

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=22904

The Almera always seemed very small in the back for a saloon.

They're a nice car. We had one for years with very few problems. Granted, the fuel consumption of our 1.8 petrol 1998 one was on par with a modern Range Rover or Porsche Boxster - so not the best!

Back