20 year old living with relatives & social welfare payments

patm2007

Hi

Our 20 year old niece has just moved in with us as she has fallen out with her father. This happened multiple times when she was a teenager and could be with us for 6 months + going on past experiences. She isn't in education or have a job. She does work with a seasonal events company about 6-8 weeks per year.

I asked her today does she claim from social welfare and she doesn't because her dad wouldn't give her his payslip which Social welfare required when she was living at his home. I assume this is to means test her application.

If that is correct will this happen if she applies while at our house, will she be means tested her too?

I've no issue sharing our payslips but if she's means tested it won't work out well due to our income levels, if she moves on to somewhere else after us I'm assuming she updates her residence and is means tested again?

Sorry a bit lost her it's 20 years since I had any dealings with social welfare, my niece isn't one for exploring this on her own so I'll need to assist her with this.

Your niece won't be assessed on your income, only income from parent(s) or step-parents is assessed.

What may be investigated as part of her application is whether she has moved away from home in order to avoid the means test.

Our 20 year old niece has just moved in with us as she has fallen out with her father. This happened multiple times when she was a teenager and could be with us for 6 months + going on past experiences. She isn't in education or have a job. She does work with a seasonal events company about 6-8 weeks per year.

Isn't it a very sad situation for her to be in with no prospects. How does she support herself at the moment? Could she not investigate if there are any training courses available to her which might improve her chances of getting a permanent job?

It will be difficult for her to claim jobseekers if she's not actively seeking employment.

Your niece won't be assessed on your income, only income from parent(s) or step-parents is assessed.

What may be investigated as part of her application is whether she has moved away from home in order to avoid the means test.
Thanks, I think it's several months since she last engaged with social welfare, she worked with the events company up to mid january

Isn't it a very sad situation for her to be in with no prospects. How does she support herself at the moment? Could she not investigate if there are any training courses available to her which might improve her chances of getting a permanent job?
How do you jump to no prospects from the original post?? She's only 20 is looking for a job and is also engaging with youth services to see what course she might do. Her life is tough right now but it's a moment in time! My word.....

She does work with a seasonal events company about 6-8 weeks per year.
The wording in this statement leads one to believe that it is a regular occurrence per year.

She's only 20 is looking for a job and is also engaging with youth services to see what course she might do.

This wasn't mentioned in the original post which would have clarified that she is in fact looking for a job.

Glad to hear that she is getting help from Youth Services and hopefully things will work out for her in the long term.

As she's not living with a parent, has little or no income and is seeking employment then methinks she should qualify for Jobseekers Allowance at the under 25s rate of €141.70.

You can read about the means test here . . https://www.citizensinformation.ie/...payments/means-test-for-jobseekers-allowance/

I would go to my local Intreo office and apply for JA, telling them I've left home due to a toxic environment. Once on that she could apply for an ETB training course or some such but should be able to retain the welfare payment (as a training allowance). She might find something here https://www.fetchcourses.ie/

Also, ESB have opened their 2024 apprenticeship programme . . https://careers.esb.ie/job/Nationwide-CM-ESB-Networks-Electrical-Apprenticeship-2024/789543502/

Back