2 questions about personal tax

Jister

1. About 4 weeks ago I sent off a form for medical expenses (MED1 or MED 2 I think its called) but I have yet to get the refund cheque, how long should it take and if I should have got it already who should I ring?

2. My wife is soon to finish working after being out on maternity leave since last November, how do I go about transferring her Tax Credits to me?

Thanks in advance.

Jister said:
1. About 4 weeks ago I sent off a form for medical expenses (MED1 or MED 2 I think its called) but I have yet to get the refund cheque, how long should it take and if I should have got it already who should I ring?

It varies. You can always call or write to your tax office inquiring about progress.

2. My wife is soon to finish working after being out on maternity leave since last November, how do I go about transferring her Tax Credits to me?

If you are already on [broken link removed] (usually the most advantageous for couples) then I don't think that you have to do anything. Note the following extract from that Revenue link though:

PAYE tax credits, employment expenses and the basic standard rate cut-off point are non transferable

Make sure that you are on the most appropriate married taxation for your circumstances and that you are getting the relevant credits/allowances detailed [broken link removed]. This topic might also be of more general interest to you.

Jister said:

Ring the tax office number at the end of your tax credit cert and they will arrange the transfer of your wife's unused credits/cutoff to you - remembering the restrictions ie 20,400 untransferrable cut off, loss of one PAYE allowance etc. etc.

One other thing - to compare your before (i.e. both working) and after (i.e. one spouse working) situation you can use [broken link removed] which should give you a good idea of the effect of deductions and take home pay.

Some of my friends have been waiting 6-8 weeks for refund of medical expenses so don't worry yet.
Another friend applied for a refund of medical expenses and they told him he owed them money!

Back