2 loans which do I pay off first..

ppbb

I've 2 loans 24k left to repay over the next 4 yrs @ 550 approx per month and a mortgage of 70k on ppr with 10 yrs left paying approx 710 per month.

Question. Do I pay the 24k off by getting a remortgage for the extra amount or would I be better off to try and keep status quo?

Any advice welcome.

What rates are the two loans at? In general you should pay off the most expensive loans first. If you top-up the mortgage to repay a more expensive loan then try to schedule the top-up over the same period as was left on the expensive loan. Topping up the mortgage to pay more expensive loans but then paying the top-up back over 10-20 years could end up with you paying more in the long run.

On the 4yr loan 7.7 - 8% rate and on the 10 yr mortgage current variable @ 3.3% I think.

If you can clear the 8% loan with a mortgage top-up scheduled over the next four years or so then you will definitely save money.

Thanks Clubman I will enquire with my bank on the repayment option as for legal fees I don't know but will ask.
Thanks for your replies.

There are legal fees involved for a Top-Up. It can work out really expensive if you contact your Solicitor and ask them to look after it for you from Day 1. They open up a whole file and get in to correspondence with the Mortgage provider. Ask your Bank what the position is fee wise. I know IIB have a nominal charge of just under €80 legal fees if they just send the papers directly to your noimanted Solicitor and you just go in to sign, nothing else. It's well worth shopping around on that score.

See the following which I posted previously under the mortgage section -

I took €20k equity release in Jan to finance a new car and a solicitor or valuer were not required. We had bought the house over 2 years previously and the mortgage was about 50% of the house value so the risk to the bank on the valuation was minimal. They did not insist that we engage a solicitor but recommended we obtain independent legal advice, etc. They arranged for the stamping and registration of the mortgage and there was a security perfection charge of €222 payable by me for that. However I did have to take out an additional mortgage protection policy which cost €60 for the year. (p.s. am in the process of selling house now and clearing this anyway)

Hope this helps.

Back