2 employers = 2 P60s?

vector

I have two legitimate employers, "A" and "B".

But I have received a P60 from employer "A" only. The figures on it relate only to the pay I've received "A" only.

Must employer "B" provide me with a P60 also?

I really will never understand why the obligation to do so many things falls on the employer and not the revenue themselves, as we all know there some employers that just don't care.

Must employer "B" provide me with a P60 also?

Yes. Every employer must provide you with a P60 if you are in their employment on 31st December each year. Note that employer B may not have got around to it yet. I have not yet got my P60 for 2007, neither has Mrs Joe1234.

Employers have 6 weeks from 31 December to provide P60s. A lot of smaller employers have their accountants do their payroll or if they do the payroll themselves they sometimes still get the accountants to do the end of year P60s & employers P35's. We're pretty busy doing just that right now for quite a few clients. I expect you'll get the P60 from employer "B" soon.

On the Revenue matter, the payroll records have been and obviously must be maintained by the employer as it is they who are paying you, not the Revenue. The P60 is the employer's statement of your earnings with them. Revenue however have a role in the filing of that data by the employer, and in the enforcement of penalties for non-filing by the employer. So there is a Revenue control there.

On an aside, neither employer "A" or "B" would be aware ( how could they ) of your earnings with the other. If your earnings exceed certain levels PRSI no longer becomes payable. However each employer is obliged to deduct PRSI up to the relevant ceiling ( you can get these at www.welfare.ie but I believe the ceiling in 2007 was €48,800) If your total earnings from both employments together, exceed the ceiling you may have grounds for a partial PRSI refund. Just something to watch out for.

on the flip side, if working for 2 employers - what tax ceiling are they using, it could be possible that you are getting TFA in both employments and the benefit of the lower band, but when accumulate earnings you could be faced with a underpayment of tax, need to be careful if working for 2 employers, as they need sight of what you have paid, what allowances being used in each employment as they have to adjust accordingly

on the flip side, if working for 2 employers - what tax ceiling are they using, it could be possible that you are getting TFA in both employments and the benefit of the lower band, but when accumulate earnings you could be faced with a underpayment of tax, need to be careful if working for 2 employers, as they need sight of what you have paid, what allowances being used in each employment as they have to adjust accordingly

Once both employments are on record with Revenue you cannot get the benefit of two sets of credits. Neither employer needs to know what is going on . It's none of their business. The taxpeyer, on the other hand, should ensure that their tax credits and cut off point are properly allocated to make best use of the lower rates. This can be done by contacting Revenue and giving them the pay details for each employment.

Using "Revenues' Online service" I allocated my tax credits (if that is the correct term) between the two employers about 60/40 because the second is a part-time job.

Although from time to time I do pay tax (or some kind) in the second one when I earn alot in a given week.

Back