2.5 hour audio, what to save it to?

footsteps

Need to save an audio of 2 and a half hours, any cd's that I get seem to only hold up to 80 minutes, is there any one disk that I can get that will store it all?

Had a look in some place but couldn't get any one any bigger than 700 MB.
Thanks.

Convert it to mp3 format. You'll only be able to play on a computer or an MP3 compatible CD player.

Or save the audio to a DVD, pretty much all DVD players will also play audio dvds. (also, with the mp3 route, most modern CD players, will happily play mp3 CD's)

Will try to convert to mp3 and try that, the usb stick it grand but need to give it to a few people so was hoping to put on disk of some description!

Thanks!

Need to save an audio of 2 and a half hours, any cd's that I get seem to only hold up to 80 minutes, is there any one disk that I can get that will store it all?

Thanks.

Just to be clear, CD-Rs are either 700mb data or 80 minutes audio.

I would have thought 2.5 hours of an mp3 should be no more then 350mb if burned at the average bitrate of 196kbps so you should safely be able to stick it on a 700mb CD-R as an mp3. Howeevr, you can get mp3 file editors if you want to split up the file into manageable <80 minutes chunks and put on multiple CDs as audio. I would suggest <78 minutes as the Cd will require at least a small chunk of the 80 minutes for information storage.

Thanks.

Your options are probably DVD (with CD-A files), MP3, or... last but not least, 2 x CD-Rs!

I'd nearly go with the latter, for maximum portability!

mp3 is easier. Just be careful what bitrate you save it at. If it's just speech then 80kbps will do. If it's music, then I would suggest 196kbps minimum. If it's music and you only play on the likes of an ipod then 128k will be okay. Remember if you play mp3's through your stereo then they can sound crap towards the c.d. Use windows media player. Don't use wma it's less compatible than mp3. And it only sounds better than mp3 at under 128kbps. You will get a good few hours of mp3 on a cdr.

Or save the audio to a DVD, pretty much all DVD players will also play audio dvds. (also, with the mp3 route, most modern CD players, will happily play mp3 CD's)

I've heard of SACD and DVD-A Whats an Audio DVD? How do you create one?

Your options are probably DVD (with CD-A files), MP3, or... last but not least, 2 x CD-Rs!

I'd nearly go with the latter, for maximum portability!

How do you create a DVD with CD-A files?

I think u mean SACD not SCAD. SACD is super audio CD. But I don't think the format is really used. It has been around since 1999. It's a higher than cd quality format. I've never seen it in any shops. Dvd is another format better than cd. Though to this day nothing afaik has surpassed vinyl! And that's not to be laughed at. The sound of old vinyl, is amazing. But you have to listen to it through good quality kit. Dance vinyl is not recorded the same as the good old stuff. Mostly it's compressed and edited on computers. I have never made one. But to be honest do you have sacd or dvd-a material to make copies of? if not then ripping a lower quality format cd or much lower again mp3 ,to a higher quality dvd-a or sacd would be a waste! Check out the net for guides on how to make dvd-a discs and sacd. I never did it. But again no point going from a lower quality source like cd or mp3 to a better quality format! Meaning you can't add information that isn't there!

...But again no point going from a lower quality source like cd or mp3 to a better quality format! Meaning you can't add information that isn't there!

The point of the thread is finding a media for longer audio files. Not better quality. I thought those formats were encrypted but I've never looked into how to do it. AFAIK most DVD players or CD players WON'T play them.

Theres still a decent interest in the SACD and DVD-A.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/
http://www.highfidelityreview.com/

mp3 burnt onto cd or usb? works for me! Players that support sacd are not easy find really. And not all dvd players play dvd-a

still no point going to the effort in creating sacd or dvd-a discs. I really think mp3 would be easier.

Back