2/3 Months in Italy ?

Deiseblue

Myself and my wife have rented apartments for a similar time period in Seville,Porto and San Sebastián and enjoyed ourselves immensely and intend traveling again shortly.
I have little experience of Italy outside Rome , Florence and Venice .
Has anyone experience of smaller cities with good transport links , nice bars and restaurants and if possible a good football team where it would be possible to spend such a long period of time without falling foul of cabin fever ?

You need to stay in a small city which is close to the tourist centres but attracts almost no tourists, therefore much lower accomodation costs.

In the north I would say Ravenna, Verona and Modena are all good options. The north is cold and grim in the winter though and very humid in July/August.

For an all-year round option I would recommend Naples. The city itself is filthy but the pace of life is nice, you will eat fantastically for very little, and you have the Amalfi Coast, Pompeii, etc, nearby.

Italy has extremely good high-speed rail, although it is expensive.

Finally, beware the standard of English falls off a cliff once you are outside tourist regions.

Reactions: PMU
Bologna would get my vote.

Fabulous food, ideally located as a base for travelling within Italy and a Seria A football club to boot!

John Grisham's book "The Broker" gives a good description of the city (seriously!).

Thanks folks for all the recommendations to which I’ll give serious consideration.
Naples and Bologna attract me from a culinary and football viewpoint but my wife may have different ideas !
Thanks again

I stayed in Bologna last year. It was not my favourite place to visit. Very busy. We then moved on to Rimini, very quiet out of season. We then moved to Ravenna. As already mentioned Ravenna is lovely and it was my favourite place out of the three. Good train connections.

We spent a long weekend in Pesaro last June bank holiday, on the sea, lovely restaurants, lots of classical music due to being Rossini's birthplace. Close to Bologna - just over an hour on the train.
Sicily might be another option, we stayed in Catania and Taormina, but if football was key then Sardinia might be an option unless Palermo get promoted.

Bergamo is a lovely town with good rail links and a football team. Airport is 10 minutes from the town and Ryanair fly there.

Back