1966 house, does it have cavity block? What is the best form of insulation?

zipee

Hi

I want to insulate a house built in about 1966. I have a few questions?

How do I find out if I have cavity block? I understand this to be blocks then a gap and then more blocks.

I have phoned around a few places that do the foam or bead filling and they give conflicting advice. Some say if I have actual cavity blocks as in the bricks with the holes in them that I can still inject and fill them. Others say it will not work and I will be no better off.

If you get the insulation on the outside of the wall and not foam, what do they do? What finish do you end up with? Is it plaster?

This is all very confusing.

Is there any independent place you can contact for advice?

I thought the BER assessment would tell me all this but obviously not?

Thanks in advance!

Re: foam insulation help???

We recently had a BER completed on a property in Mount Temple, Moate,
Co. Westmeath.

The assessor was also a Structural Engineer, based on an examination of the Block Work / Brickwork and inspecting the attic he was able to give us construction details. We are planning doing an energy make over on the property and he gave us recommendations on the best way to spend our budget. (Mostly on insulation and controls for our central heating)

Thus I think it is very important to check if your Assessor is also an Engineer / Surveyor. Our BER cost €300 (4 Bed Detached 2000sq ft)

Back