15k stock investment in Revolut, Degiro or both?

MelF

Hello all, I posted this time last year in a bit of a panic about the oncoming Covid storm and what effect if any it could have on a lot of surplus cash I was and still am, holding. I didn't pay off my mortgage as it's an ECB +5 tracker which is just too good to lose and also because I want to trade up. And my hyperinflation worries have so far not materialised tg!
Since then I've bought some physical gold, *tried* to buy a property but came a cropper with dodgy estate agent shenanigans (another post :rolleyes: ) and there's sweet FA out there to buy these days, so despite my stock market resistance til now I've decided to give it a lash.

Been playing around with some stock in Revolut since start of this year, but aware I need a more solid strategy than basically throwing darts at stuff I like, so I opened a Degiro account. But I can't make head nor tail of that really, because it doesn't have those nifty little graphs that let me track what I've bought or want to buy, so I thought it best to maybe put 10k into a straight ETF (Berkshire Hathaway or somesuch) there and just forget about it.

While using the remaining 5k on Revolut hoping to hit on the next FAANGs, but is also handy because I can use dollars for trades, and also do fractionals, whereas Degiro only seems to accept euro transfers from euro accounts.
But as both are online platforms located in other jurisdictions, how safe would they realistically be for a 3-5 year time horizon for that 15k or any gains? Or longer (and perhaps more) if all went reasonably well.

Last edited:
5 years? Too little timeframe. I would suggest keeping cash... Shares need at least 10 years to reveal the truth to my view... We just reached peaks everywhere (!)

Well I suppose that's the crux of my query really - will the likes of Degiro and Revolut be reliable (or around long enough!) for a long-term strategy?

Whatever about Revolut, Degiro will in all probability be here in 10 years time. - or will have been taken over by another broker

But then we said that about Clerys!

Whether the Broker is around or not is kind of irrelevant. You own the shares, not them.
I started investing with Campbell O Connor stock brokers many years ago. They no longer exist now. But I didn't lose anything when they wound up. They simply transferred my shares to the broker of my choice (Degiro).

Both Degiro and Revolut are regulated entities, they can't just run off with your money, even in the extremely unlikely event that they go bankrupt.

I would be significantly less comfortable leaving large sums with Revolut, than with DeGiro.

I use Revolut's services, like their technology, but do not rate their customer service. I also note that Revolut continue to advertise the same, or very similar, jobs in the Risk space - which causes me to raise an eyebrow.

Do you actually own the shares via Revolut? Was under the impression that you were restricted to trading in the platform only?

Mustang01, I presume if you sell your shares the money goes back into your Revolut account? Though I don't know if it's possible to transfer the shareholding to other brokers to be honest.

Its worth checking the fees. I've only used Revolut once and the fees seemed high relative to what I was used to paying on Degiro

Revolut is great for foreign currency transactions but I would not buy shares or leave large sums of money on deposit in a Revolut account. Degiro is a much better bet. The only negative compared to Revolut is that you can't buy fractional shares on Degiro.
Interactive Brokers is an excellent, and slightly more expensive online broker, that offers fractional shares and far better research tools than either Degiro or Revolut.

Its worth checking the fees. I've only used Revolut once and the fees seemed high relative to what I was used to paying on Degiro
The fact that I can and prefer to use dollars takes the sting out of that for me tho. I get 5 free trades a month on my current Revolut plan which I 'think' is pretty OK.

Back