150k to build house?

ellamac

Hi - I know I might be dreaming but do you think it is possible to build a 3 bed bungalow, 1450 sqft, timber frame, using direct labour and pay fees etc for €150k? We are buying the site, and this is all that we would have left over from mortgage to build, so am just wondering if it is possible?

allow €100 a square foot in the pale, €90 a square foot in most of Ireland and €80 a square foot in quiet rural spots where labour is cheaper.

Then it depends on the materials used so can't answer. Thats a rough estimation guide. Your rebuilding insurance should be likewise.

Thanks for your responses. I live in Wicklow so am hoping it will be about €90 per sqft, which would be perfect!! We are getting in alot of relations/friends to do other bits and pieces so that should keep costs down!

Thanks again

ellamac said:
Thanks for your responses. I live in Wicklow so am hoping it will be about €90 per sqft,
I would budget €100 psf anyway because wicklow is pale !!!!

Frank - we're building between Greystones and Kilcoole. I think realistically as 2Pack said, it will cost more than €90!!

The last big job is the kitchen which will cost you anywhere from €10k to €50k so build the rest of the house perfectly and then buy the kitchen you can afford afterward . Kitchens can be replaced when funding permits.

Make sure your engineer is good and precise and takes no crap from the timber frame manufacturer either. If it ain't right when it comes tell them load it back on the lorry and fix it in their factory.

Hi 2pack - thanks for advice. Have you had experience with timber frame companies? Alot of our friends are telling us we are mad going this way and that it's not cheaper and can cause problems later on but surely at this stage, they know what they are doing? I agree with you about kitchen, that's exactly what we are going to do!!

From what I hear on the grapevine - block is cheaper than timber-frame. So might be worth pricing both ways.

Block is not cheaper actually. Block needs to be drylined afterwards or else the place is bloody freezing and pisses out heat while timber is basically a lot warmer and retains heat better and does not need an extra wall (in effect) built inside the regulation 2 blocks which is what drylining is .

If you price block against timber frame also price the drylining of all inside walls and insulation costs between inside block and drylining to get like for like costs to compare .

The building regulations in Ireland are total RUBBISH for our climate and skewed towards the concrete lobby. I blame Dick Roche who has done nothing except prattle while the planet burns .

Nevertheless the engineer or architect SHOULD have experience of timber frame before and should be prepared to be firm with them. They respect that :D

I was told by a developer recently that the reason he builds timberframe is because it is quicker. he told me that he was not happy with the council as they had held up the site for 18 months because of an issue with access which meant that he would have been as well off with block build because it was cheaper ( but took longer). Im sure in the long run that timberframe will mean lower heating costs which could be anything in 10/15 years time. as for once off cost though i believe that block is cheaper.

Hi and thanks for your responses and advice. My predicament is that the architect (friend of my dads) finished the plans, which have been submitted to the Council - that's all the involvement he'll have apart from certification as we go along. So basically we have to do the whole thing and project manage so to speak as we go along. I'll check out both timber and block (with lining etc) and see what results I get back!

Thanks again

Thats a bit messy , no project management input , you had better annoy some people with timber frame as its the 'lesser known' technology and find out what they would and would not do 'next time' and any pitfalls .

Condider block and drylining to be well known and easy to get quotes on.

ALSO consider a single builder for

Raft
Walls(whatever technology)
Roof (timber frame MAY include wooden part of roof )
First Fix Carpentry (all)
First fix plumbing (all)
First Fix Electrics (all)
Windows and Installation Of

And either plaster inside and out or hand over to you to plaster inside and out.

Then ye only need to project manage all the second fixes and landscaping , ideally a weather tight building in winter at that stage . Its worth considering that too rather than chase them tradesmen who are holding each other up. They would put years on you with their bullspit and lies and excuses .

money man said:
Im sure in the long run that timberframe will mean lower heating costs which could be anything in 10/15 years time

It's worth considering the new Energy Performance rating for buildings which will soon be introduced. Ireland, along with all EU Member States, has committed to reducing its CO2 emissions in order to meet the reduction targets set out in the Kyoto Protocol. The legal obligation will apply to virtually all buildings that are either newly constructed or otherwise placed on the market for sale OR rental. The main exemption applies to listed buildings.

So, IF, the cost of timber frame is more than block built (which I sincerely doubt given recent quotes which I obtained) it is worth noting that Timber Frame houses are more energy efficient and are cheaper to heat and so will have a good EPR.

Hi 2Pack, thanks for advice and will definitely look at what you're suggesting. We are fairly lucky in that we are going to build on my father's land and he's a tradesman (carpenter & plumber) so he is going to do alot of that work and has guys he can call on to do other bits. Also he can 'oversee' things as he lives there. So I'm hoping it won't get too stressful!!

Hi Lorz - I was told about this by the architect and that's another reason why we are considering timber frame. I'll get quotes on both construction types anyhow and see where we go from there.

Thanks again all!

ellamac said:
I'll get quotes on both construction types anyhow and see where we go from there.

Do tell us the like for like quotes ellamac, I'm sure it would be interesting.

What does the da think of the building carcass/first fix 1 contract idea ...even if he is the subbie for the plumbing bit ??

Hi 2Pack - I'll let you know when I get quotes! And dad doesn't know yet!! He'll get a nice surprise!!

ellamac said:
He'll get a nice surprise!!
He doesn't knew that all his juicy 'exclusive wicklow pied a terre' jobbies will have to be cancelled coz his young wan needs him to build her house for her, would that be the surprise :p ??

You got it in one! But think of the advantages of having his daughter right beside him!!!

Back