In general are you:
Saving approx 7k per annum

Home:
Rough estimate of value of home: 650K
Amount outstanding on your mortgage: 120K, 6 years remaining
What interest rate are you paying? ECB plus .75 % tracker

Other borrowings – none

Do you pay off your full credit card balance each month? Yes

Savings and investments: around euro 71k cash on deposit in bank, 49k shares (7 different shares, some have done well, some not, so made about 15k on 34k investment)

Do you have a pension scheme? Yes, both public:
Spouse will have most of years service so 35k / annum plus 110k lump sum
I will have very low service so may have around 12k / annum plus 30k lump sum

Do you own any investment or other property? No

Ages of children: 12, 10, 8 (childminding fees are low, 150/month)

Life insurance: yes

Question: We have about 120k. I'm considering 4 things:

a) Our mortgage is about to be sold from Danske to Pepper. Should we make a settlement offer to Danske, since we're a performing loan, how low would they be selling our loan for, would they consider a 50% offer?

b) Buy an investment property: We want our kids to go to a secondary school but we need to live in catchment area to get them in, we like where we live (very near the school we want but over the wall from catchment). We could buy an apartment in catchment and use that address to get them in. The yield isn't great there as lovely place to live but bit far out from city for rental value. Hence a 2 bed apt would be 350k to buy with 1700 / month rent, this would cost us about 5k a year in income tax on the rent. We could possibly downsize to this apt in years to come. In theory, we could rent it out for the next 20 years and then move in ourselves and sell our 4 bed and buy something small abroad as well.
Also, we are in a good position now in that we are both public servants, have 20 years left to get a mortgage (and pay off), I worry that our kids won't be able to get a mortgage so we should get one for them as such (ie. pay off a second property now and then be able to give them a good start later.

c) Private pension fund (by setting up private pension or AVC (I'm not a fan of paying big pension charges annually though). I'm not sure if 45k pension for a couple is enough, I know we spend a lot more than that now and I'd like to afford holidays etc. so do we need a rental income for pension too.

d) Property Pension: Try and build up a private pension fund over next 10 years, putting max in every year, to then buy a property with a pension mortgage and have tax free rental income (only problem is house price inflation while we build up pension fund, we may never have enough)

e) Do nothing, buy more shares as cash builds and keep 50% cash for a rainy day.

We should have enough money to put kids through college from our income, as in, mortgage will be paid by then so 1600 current mortgage payment should cover registration fees etc. (they can live at home & attend college)
I'd really appreciate some advice,
Thanks

A) you can try, but you won't get a discount. Danske have sold the portfolio for over 95% of value. You've a performing Mortgage, which is worth its face value.

B) buying an investment property to get kids to school is a bit extreme. I don't think you've fully calculated the full cashflow impact this will have on you, now and every year. Your savings will be wiped out completely to cover Mortgage, and you'll be cashflow negative by 7k+ per annum.

Thanks Red onion,
That saves a lot of form filling for Danske. The buy to let wasn't just for the school, it was more a question of, if we should get a buy to let (for pensions and something to leave the kids), now might be better as would help the school situation and we've 20 years to get a mortgage. I agree, we'd have very little extra cash for 6 years but then think we should be able to live on less than what we do. If we wait till ppr paid off (and lots of extra cash), prices may have raced out of reach and we may be too old for a mortgage? (53 /52)

Just make sure you do the numbers properly before taking on an investment property.

There are lots of threads on here about extra costs involved, what's tax deductible, etc. that might give you ideas.

If it's for your retirement, use a pension fund. You can get one with low costs, but the tax benefits are the main reason to use a pension structure.

I'd suggest setting up some firm of regular monthly savings / investment for the kids that you can pass to them exempt from gift to tax. Again, lots of posts on that topic.

Getting into the property rental business is certainly not a terrible idea in your circumstances but, as RedOnion says, make sure you do your homework so that you are getting into the business with your eyes open.

If it was me, I would just clear the PPR mortgage ahead of schedule and then use the extra cash flow to build a decent college fund and start making AVCs.

Keep it simple.:)

Back