11 men to dig a trench!

Out walking last week, best not to say where (village of famous castle) as I would not like to get people into trouble.

The council were digging shallow trenches every 200 yards or so to allow water flow off the road ( road not flooded)

The activity described sounds like the construction of "water tables" these are channels cut into the ditch to allow drainage of the carriage way. It is essential that these are maintained prior to periods of heavy rain to avoid flooding and/or damage to the road surface.

I've bolded one phrase to show one of the other risks of working in the public sector. Everyone seems to consider themselves expert in everything done in the public sector, though really, they're not experts.

So The Mire has a little dig on the side about public sector digging trenchese before the roads get flooded. He misses the very important point that this is preventative maintenance work, that must be carried out to avoid flooding.

The like of County Council labourers are an easy target for the likes of Dial-a-Moan. Generally, they work in the open and are ultra visible (add in high-viz vests). A photograph is a moment in time and pictures don't always tell the truth. It is very easy to be Judge, Jury and Executioner especially from behind a nom-de-plume. Even chain gangs in the movies have rest periods; people can't break stones all day long continuously.

I have run shops and other kinds of businesses successfully. I am always aware of providing value and good customer service. Also, I am aware that many customers (especially nowadays) demand customer pandering by bitching about everything that can be bitched about and even when there is nothing to bitch about.

The country has lost its "manliness" along with other virtues. We are bitchin' about relatively minor things e.g. council workers (most of whom probably dont have even secondary education, incidentally I left school during secondary school myself). I fear for genuine people trying to eke out a self employed existence today because not only are they laboured with high costs, ultra-safety procedures, tax, high-rents and plethora of more costs etc, they have to face two-bit twit-inspired moaners looking for some kind of compensation over something small.

Let's take one example of millions of Euro going down the drain and nobody is saying a word. I read it costs the state €70,000 to train a nurse. Two hundred nurses are due to graduate from one university alone this year and this costs the state €14,000000. Nobody is complaining, the nurses/midwives will not work in Ireland as there are no jobs.

Everything is relative and council workers taking a break is not a big deal. Please note I have been (unusually) mild in these posts. I haven't mentioned the cost of our tribunals, bank bail-outs, etc etc.

If, during a discussion about banks/ tribunals etc, posters brought up the issue of council employees or contractors being inefficient they would to castigated and rightly so as the two issues are not linked.
Members of the public are perfectly entitled to question how and where the state spends their money. I'd go further, I'd say people have a duty to do so.

You haven't hade a single point about the topic in your post.

Members of the public are perfectly entitled to question how and where the state spends their money. I'd go further, I'd say people have a duty to do so.

If people have so many duties, why are so many people's cars parked on double yellow lines? Why do we have costly tribunals? Why is there nobody in prison who caused our economic downturn? Why do people drive in excess of speed limits? The Call-of-Duty, picking on county council workers, dont make me laugh.

In fairness to Leper he does address some of the issues raised by the op in the opening post. The Blarney 11!

Ive said it before but such a large gang sounds very like a CEP (Community Employment Programme) detail but until we hear more from the OP we can only speculate.

In fairness to Leper he does address some of the issues raised by the op in the opening post. The Blarney 11!

Thank you ajapale, I was beginning to think I was among people stuck inside some kind of "I-myself-am-always-right-and-I-dont-care-what-others-say capsule" - I am not stupid enough (yet) to think that a blind eye should be taken at wasted public money. But, everything is relative.

Like I said before pictures dont always tell the truth. We dont know the full story. It is easy to make allegations. County council workers are easy targets. We dont know what the eleven workers were doing before or after the photo. Anyway, I'm repeating myself.

However, I regret to say the nation is being turned into a nation of intolerable whingers. Only last week I was buying some breakfast rolls having stopped off in a petrol station (where else?). While I was waiting in the queue a suited male know-all passed the entire queue to hand back a torn pair of tights which he said were sub quality and demanded his money back. I informed him sarcastcally that he could go ahead of me in the queue, much to the humour of others there. Yer man ranted and raved and was advised by the attendant that the tights were from a pack of three and he would refund money if the full set was returned. Great guffaws and jibes from the leprous rabble followed.

Unfortunately, the like of the petrol station story is becoming all too common.

Thank you ajapale, I was beginning to think I was among people stuck inside some kind of "I-myself-am-always-right-and-I-dont-care-what-others-say capsule" - I am not stupid enough (yet) to think that a blind eye should be taken at wasted public money. But, everything is relative.

Like I said before pictures dont always tell the truth. We dont know the full story. It is easy to make allegations. County council workers are easy targets. We dont know what the eleven workers were doing before or after the photo. Anyway, I'm repeating myself.

However, I regret to say the nation is being turned into a nation of intolerable whingers. Only last week I was buying some breakfast rolls having stopped off in a petrol station (where else?). While I was waiting in the queue a suited male know-all passed the entire queue to hand back a torn pair of tights which he said were sub quality and demanded his money back. I informed him sarcastcally that he could go ahead of me in the queue, much to the humour of others there. Yer man ranted and raved and was advised by the attendant that the tights were from a pack of three and he would refund money if the full set was returned. Great guffaws and jibes from the leprous rabble followed.

I see your point. We now have a nation of people who took out loans to go on holidays (or used their credit card to pay for it), borrowed more than they should to buy homes and investment properties that they knew was over valued, looked for and got pay increases way ahead of inflation, looked for and got income tax cuts and welfare increases that they knew were financed by a capital tax bonanza and kept re-electing the government that was behaving so irresponsibly and yet despite all of that most people think they have no personal responsibility for the situation we now find ourselves in!

It's incredible, isn't it?!

borrowed more than they should to buy homes and investment properties that they knew was over valued, PURPLE

Why would a person buy something that they knew was OVERVALUED!!! What nonsense.

The only person who knew about the property bubble was you. You've admitted it on here a few times. And you still bought !

No, lots of people knew about it and many journalists wrote about it but some people didn't listen.
Yes, I moved house during the boom but I'm not blaming anyone else because my house lost value.

Thats a very interesting observation especially that you dont know the full story..
But obviously its OK for you to do exactly what you complain about in others..

Back