10k to buy shares in Irish companies

kiki35

hi,

myself and my partner have followed all the steps for investing in shares, as per AAM, have read the handbook etc and now, we have picked 5 solid companies across industry. We are happy with our choices and now we want to buy certs and hold onto them for about 10 + years.

My question is : where should we go to buy them and roughly how much will the transaction cost?

any advice gratefully received!

KK

Have you read the key topics (including those about how to buy/sell shares) and the forum (which includes indicative broker fees)? Bear in mind the tax implications (e.g. CGT on gains and income tax on dividend payments) of holding direct share investments. For some people (e.g. me!) these and other factors are reason enough to opt (as far as possible) instead for indirect share investments through low charging unit linked funds

Hi kiki

Some of the information in this thread is a little outdated, but may be relevant.

I think that the may have done a survey recently as well.

Stamp Duty of 1% is payable on the value of (Irish) shares purchased.

thank you for your help so far! I will contact some of the names mentioned on the thread mentioned by CCOvich.

Clubman, we have maxed out AVCs for our pensions, 2 unit linked funds (for the kids education) and want to do something a little bit different. We have shares from the companies we work for (one has done well, the other not) and find it interesting. We are not interested in being landlords, so thought we would buy some shares directly.

Clubman, we have maxed out AVCs for our pensions, 2 unit linked funds (for the kids education) and want to do something a little bit different. We have shares from the companies we work for (one has done well, the other not) and find it interesting. We are not interested in being landlords, so thought we would buy some shares directly.
Faie enough. Obviously I wasn't aware of the broader issues before now. Obviously you should be looking to diversify for example across different asset classes, geographic regions, risk/reward profiles. For example even if you don't want to invest directly in property you could invest (some of your money) in a property fund.

hi again,

does anyone have any advice regarding names on share certificates - can you get them made out to 2 people - husband and wife - or does it have to be 1 person. Anyone any words of wisdom?

You can get share issued in joint names. If you have shares in one name then you should be able to transfer them to your spouse or joint names by contacting the company's registrar. No stamp duty applies, no GGT liability is triggered (the other spouse "inherits" the original acquisition cost for future CGT purposes) and the registrar will normally arrange this for free or for a nominal administration fee.

If you want to buy and hold in share cert form Campbell O' Connor's are your only man. they are very reasonable and dont charge extra for certs.

www.camocon.ie

Have you read the key topics (including those about how to buy/sell shares) and the forum (which includes indicative broker fees)?
Apologies - the Financial Best Buys list currently does not list stockbroker charges. It used to ages ago. On the other hand I think that here are a couple of threads dealing with broker charges that might be of use to you.

we have maxed out AVCs for our pensions, 2 unit linked funds (for the kids education) and want to do something a little bit different.

Good call. Diversification is always a good policy.
I wouldn't bother with these funds, just because these people are professionals doesn't mean you'll make more money (for you).

There's also the pride factor in buying the shares you have chosen and seeing how better your growth is than the funds/managers/professionals growth.

It's like comparing your own children with friends' children!

I wouldn't bother with these funds, just because these people are professionals doesn't mean you'll make more money (for you).
Presumably you mean actively managed funds? There are always index trackers which don't involve any professionals attempting to pick winning stocks.

Presumably you mean actively managed funds? There are always index trackers which don't involve any professionals attempting to pick winning stocks.

Yes, primarily actively managed funds. But I don't have much confidence in index trackers either.
If someone was to ask my advice on the latter, it'd advise them to follow Mr Burgess's recommendation instead and buy the top/big 10 on the ISEQ. These will, I'd expect, track the ISEQ on the upside. For those interest in foreign stocks, apply the same to foreign indices.

Trackers just follow the market. If the ISEQ goes up 10%, your tracker goes up 10%. For me, it's more desirable to do better than the standard, in this example, greater than 10%. I see it like those savings accounts that give the same rate as the ECB rate... it's ok.
Only dead fish go with the flow.

Unless you don't have confidence in the stock markets in general?

No.

Trackers just follow the market. If the ISEQ goes up 10%, your tracker goes up 10%. For me, it's more desirable to do better than the standard, in this example, greater than 10%. I see it like those savings accounts that give the same rate as the ECB rate... it's ok.
So you are confident that you can beat the market/index on an ongoing basis?
You mean you don't have confidence in the stock markets in general?

So you are confident that you can beat the market/index on an ongoing basis?

I've followed my own variation of Jim Slater's "Zulu Principle", where I've focussed on the ISEQ. Given the size of the ISEQ, it's easy to apply the Zulu Principle to it. So far, so good, I'm way ahead (though I have to give a nod to Mr Burgess). If it tumbles, I've a get out level that will still see me well ahead. Would love to bring up one share in particular. I had a gut feeling about it for the last three years, suddenly in the last weeks it's soared. Milk and mushrooms!

You mean you don't have confidence in the stock markets in general?

No.

Originally Posted by Guatama
.......it'd advise them to follow Mr Burgess's recommendation instead and buy the top/big 10 on the ISEQ.

Given the size of the ISEQ, it's easy to apply the Zulu Principle to it. So far, so good, I'm way ahead (though I have to give a nod to Mr Burgess).

Does this mean selecting a number of shares on the ISEQ and investing in them via a Stockbroker? I'm a novice and the advice often given seems to assume a level of knowledge which I haven't got so I'd appreciate a little more explanation on the above quotes - and I don't mean naming your top ten!

I think this discussion has been done to death but for me the bottom line is that if you feel that you have better stock picking skill than 80%-90% of professional fund managers then go for it. Otherwise all research into the subject would indicate "going with the flow" is the winning solution.

I think this discussion has been done to death but for me the bottom line is that if you feel that you have better stock picking skill than 80%-90% of professional fund managers then go for it. Otherwise all research into the subject would indicate "going with the flow" is the winning solution.

The trouble with funds is that the charges eat into your earnings, and, due to the principle of compound interest, can create a very significant difference within 10 years or so over investing directly.

We (partner and I) have been investing in shares for the past 8 years, and have comfortably outperformed the market within that period. We are not investment professionals and it does not involve rocket science, just an understanding of numbers, lots of reading and research and plugging numbers into spreadsheets. It is possible, but it takes a bit of effort and the ability to switch off emotional responses to shares and go with the logic alone.

In any case, professional fund managers will not tailor a relatively small investment to suit an individual, so, while some are good at their jobs, it is not necessarily correct that funds are the best option for an individual. Plus, there are funds that do no better than the index as a whole, which takes no skill at all.

cheers,
Diziet

Back