1024 x 768 versus 800 x 600.

H

Hello1111

Have designed a website, but have realised that I designed it so that it looks fine on my screen which is a 19" and set to 1024 x 768 resolution. Was looking at it on a friends smaller screen which is set at 800 x 600, and obviously the user will have to scroll across to view the full page.

I was just wondering which would be most common, people with a 1024 x 768 or people with an 800 x 600 screen, or what is the standard size to have a site?

Ideally web pages/sites should work in any browser, on any computer (PC, Mac, Unix/Linux workstation etc.) at any resolution down to 640x480 at any colour depth down to 8 bits (256 colours). However 800x600 is often taken as a base minimum requirement for many sites and, in my experience, is a common minimum resolution these days. When designing web pages it's worth installing one of those Windows taskbar based resolution switchers (e.g. from the Windows Resource Kit or other third party versions) which allow you to quickly switch resolution (and other display settings) for testing without having to go through the Control Panel Display ****** all the time.

You should check that the website will work with Netscape as well.(not everyone is a Microsoft fan!). I would think about your target audience. Will they be up to date with the latest technology or are they still surfing will an old version of a browser? You need to keep testing at every stage!

Good luck!

Back