100k to Invest?

McDreamy

A family member recently inherited about a 100k and is wondering what to do with it. She is in her late 50's, working, does not have any debts and already would have some savings so does not need this money at the moment.

I think it would be best to spread the money with a number of institutions and to put some of it, into safe bets such as An Post Bond's & Saving Certs, maybe some on deposit with Irish Nationwide or Halifax. I am wondering what would be advisable if she is willing to place some of it into riskier options to allow her earn some decent money.

Alternatively could someone recommend an independent advisor in Cork?

Many thanks

[broken link removed]

I'd recommend Arachas or Brosnan Boylan Golden from the above list.

Buy the right piece of land near where you live,keep the cool,thats your investment

Buy the right piece of land near where you live,keep the cool,thats your investment

The op said she is her late fifties. Buy a piece of land if you think you will live until yoiu reach 195. Otherwise stick to the known game of deposits or equities.

The brokers listed are all on Commissions, so from the day you invest via them, they are earning from your Investment

And the day might come when she needs money what does she do then ??

On the basis of the information provided, in a mixture of cash deposits, a mixture of ETFs and possibly some other Green Investments.

On the basis that you’re only young once, would you not advise your relative to blow say 5 – 10% of her good fortune on herself now, e.g. holiday, clothes, home improvements, etc.? If your relative doesn’t need this money now, she should plan to use it to supplement her pension when she retires. So how many years to retirement and what pension can she expect? Will all her debts, mortage, car loan, etc. be paid off by retirement? Has she an emergency fund? If not, she could consider using some of the inheritance now to pay off debt and set up an emergency fund. Then what return will she need from her investment to supplement her pension? So she could start investing now with the aim of supplementing her pension, or, if she doesn’t know now with accuracy what her pension will be or when she will retire, the money could be safely invested in e.g. a mix of post office certs, high yield deposts, etc. until she can.

Pmu,i like your style,enjoying some of it is a cert.A year in prize bonds is a craic aswell!!!!

60% on deposit, 20% gold, 10% ETF's (commodity and emerging markets) & 10% in cash easy access.

I wish I had that. I would buy a nice car and invest the rest in the stock market.

Unless its leased out as a taxi or the sort.

PMU is on the ball. Blow a good chunk of it. If she doesn't need it then she has obviously been financially disciplined in her life and deserves to spend some.

Back