Case study 10 year pension rule?

masterboy123

So one of my colleagues was saying today that he will move to Spain next year, and he will be eligible for a weekly state pension when he's retired. He says if you worked continuously for 10 years, you're entitled to a pension.
Is this true?

I think they have now changed it to full state pension based on 40years contributions so 10 years contributions would only be 25% of this and pension reduced accordingly.

I think the 10year contributions thing was in practice but you had to be working up to retirement age, you couldn't just decide yourself on a 10year window to qualify. It didn't benefit that many people because very few people would be starting their working life at age 55.
In any case nothing is set until you are at retirement age the government can change the retirement parameters anytime up to your retirement age. So I wouldn't be banking on that

I think the 10year contributions thing was in practice but you had to be working up to retirement age, you couldn't just decide yourself on a 10year window to qualify. It didn't benefit that many people because very few people would be starting their working life at age 55.

The ten year contributory pension rule was of great benefit to certain public servants who had enlisted before 1995 (when the PRSI rules changed) and whose conditions of employment meant that they could retire from work before age 55 on full pension. (mainly gardaí, prison officers, firemen.) They could find a new job at age 55, start paying Class A PRSI and become eligible for a decent portion of the State contributory pension when they reached pension age .... as well as retaining their full public service pension!

But the meanies in Government changed the rules in 1995!

But you could never choose your own ten year contribution window, work from age 25 to 35 then move to Spain and qualify for full state pension when you reach 65. What the op is suggesting was never in play?

But you could never choose your own ten year contribution window, work from age 25 to 35 then move to Spain and qualify for full state pension when you reach 65. What the op is suggesting was never in play?

Not to my knowledge. And even if he was allowed to sign for credits, a maximum of 10 years of them would be reckonable, which might get him 50% of the pension. Of course if he was able to pay PRSI contributions to the Spanish system, they could be reckonable here.

Mind you, the OP makes no reference to his colleague being eligible for the full SC pension.

Thanks all for your responses.

Yea to me it doesn't sound legit at all. But I am not gonna argue with him, he is already in Spain now.

Back