10 year parts warranty. Parts obsolete within 10 years

landlord

I would appreciate guidance on the following.....
Whirlpool fridge freezer bought 9 years ago with a 10 year parts warranty. I still have the receipt.
A chargeable repair attempted by Whirlpool engineer 3 weeks ago, but not completed because the parts are now obselete. Whirlpool acknowledge that the parts would be free if they still made them.
I have been passed from department to department within the UK and Ireland, advisor to advisor but no one can help me.
I don’t want to give up, but am frustrated with whole experience. I feel it’s unfair to offer a free 10 year parts warranty and not continue making/supplying the parts within that period.

If you still have the warranty card, check the terms. One I found online stated they had the option to supply replacement parts or to replace the appliance within the 10 years at their discretion. There was no opt-out for your situation of parts no longer being available.

In most cases Companies likes Whirlpool have an agreement with the suppliers / Manufacturing of original spare parts to manufacture until warranty given on machine runs out ,

Unfortunately that version makes no allowances for parts being unavailable, or alternatives such as the provision for the replacement of the appliance that was covered in the version I found online. That one you posted looks to offer less protection, and though not an expert, I think that would lessen your chances of a positive outcome. That said, it doesn't cost much to find out.

Hi Leo thanks, but what you posted only refered to the one year warranty and not the 10 year parts warranty..... unless I missed something.

Sorry true, but it was the language on that one was important. It specifically called out replacement of the product as an alternative to replacement parts. If yours had specified that as an option you'd have a stronger case.

Whirlpool called....finally and offered me a hotpoint fridge freezer for €800 normally selling for €1200 or they could collect the old one and offer me a €300 refund. They said that even though the parts are now obsolete it is the best they could do as i had use of it for 9 years out of the 10 year warranty.
I am still frustrated because that would be like saying to someone with a broken fridge freezer, 11 months into a 12 month warranty well you have had use of it for 11 months so we cannot fix or replace it just offer you a small amount of compensation.
Should I give up?

A few years back my Hotpoint fridge freezer stopped working. I found the broken part on a search if the internet. It was quite old 7+ years, it's still working today after putting the spare part. If you have name and model no of part, do a search..

I think that's a reasonable enough offer, and very much doubt you'd do any better via the courts.

That is a fair deal. I think you would run the risk of looking unreasonable in front of the Small Claims Court were you to pursue that course of action.

Back