10 months into my business and I am finding it very hard.

Hi Newsletter, good advice. Any pointers on where I can get details on that tender panel you mention?

Icarus

The terminology they refer to is the "Small Contracts Scheme"

One such panel is shown here (there are others):
[broken link removed]

Details of the "Small Contracts Scheme" from the eTenders site is below:
Small Contracts Scheme, Att: Registration Department, 1 Harmsworth, Greenmount Office Park, Harolds Cross, 6W, Dublin, Ireland. Tel: 01-4020111. Fax: 01-4020110. E-mail: [email protected]. Web:www.achilles.ie

Their application form for SCS can be downloaded at http://www.achilles.ie/PDF/BrochureNo5.pdf

Hi Newsletter, great links and posts. The only thing I disagree with you on is hiring a sales person in what seems to be such a technical industry. If he hires a pure sales person what is to stop his aggressive and bigger competition from poaching them in a few years?
I agree that he needs other bodies to grow the business but he should remain the one who is customer facing, hire another technical person if required.

As for getting government contracts; we are a big(ish) company (10 million plus a year) who over the last 30 years have supplied a particular range or products to customers in over 40 countries. There are semi state companies in Ireland who could buy from us but because we won't do anything under the table we have never once got a penny from them. We are cheaper and better etc. Communist China in the 1970's was more honest.

Newsletter

Interesting site but I note that you have to pay for this service. I presume one can contact the organisations directly and ask to be put on this scheme?

C

Hi Newsletter,
That's a great pointer to some great info. I'm already registered with etenders but didn't know about supply line and the small contracts scheme. While many of the companies operating within the scheme might not be typical clients I'll definitely be looking into it.

I also decided to pull off the gloves and have it out with one of the government agencies that I mentioned earlier. I've thrown diplomacy to the wind and have just called them to let them know that they lied to me. The impression I got is that even though they know I am here I simply didn't register on their radar. I think that no matter how good your service and products are you have to be either an established player or be "in" with the established players. Very frustrating!! That said, there is no doubt that all these agencies are getting to know and hear from me more and more and I'm sure I'll get there in the end.

Back