Health Insurance 10% group discount LAYA (payroll deduction) (most if not all plans)

ajapale

A friend who has started new employment has been offered a 10% discount on all plans by Laya. She must use payroll deduction. She and her partner are already with Laya.

Is this “group discount” genuine? Or are the quoted prices already discounted for any one who ticks the group scheme box?

I found the following on the hia website:

“Can I get a group discount on the price quoted me for my plan?

An insurer can offer up to a 10% group discount on any plan to a group of persons at the insurer's discretion. Some of the insurers automatically include this discount in the prices quoted for a particular plan. Where an insurer has decided to automatically include this discount in a plan's premium, it will be reflected in the HIA's comparison tool. Currently, insurers do not provide discounts to individuals on company plans, so the prices quoted on our website for company plans do not include it.

Laya Healthcare does not provide group discounts to individuals, except during special promotional periods. Vhi automatically include group discounts on their individual plan premiums, except for their One Scheme. Irish Life Health automatically apply the group discount to a large number of their plans. “

Aj

Aj,

Sorry, I don't know the answer to this one, maybe others might be more informed about corporate schemes than me.

Regards, Snowyb

I can only speak for my VHI corporate plan and the price myself and my company pay is cheaper then the quoted price for the specific plan which reflects the discount offered for being part of the group scheme through my company.

Thanks snowy and sunny!

From HIA website:

Corporate Plans : are plans created by insurers that are marketed to large organisations. You are entitled to these plans regardless of whether or not you are a member of the group to whom it is being marketed. In some cases, these plans may offer better value than those plans marketed towards individuals. An insurer cannot refuse to sell you any plan you request.

Corporate plans are sometimes confused with Group Discount , which is a discretionary discount of up to 10%, which an insurer may give to a group of persons.

An insurer can offer up to a 10% group discount on any plan to a group of persons at the insurer's discretion.

Some of the insurers automatically include this discount in the prices quoted for a particular plan. Where an insurer has decided to automatically include this discount in a plan's premium, it will be reflected in the HIA's comparison tool.

Currently, insurers do not provide discounts to individuals on (so called) company plans, so the prices quoted on ( .. HIA .. ) website for company plans do not include it.

• Laya Healthcare does not provide group discounts to individuals, except during special promotional periods.
  • Vhi automatically include group discounts on their individual plan premiums, except for their One Scheme.
  • Irish Life Health automatically apply the group discount to a large number of their plans.

So the take away appears to be: Check whether your plan (or potential plan) has an integrated discount. If not then consider joining a group scheme to avail of up to 10% discount.

Back