10 flagrant grammar mistakes that make you look stupid

TarfHead

One of my pet [broken link removed], regularly observed on this and other message boards.

TarfHead said:
One of my pet [broken link removed], regularly observed on this and other message boards.

I was doubting myself that lose was the correct spelling anymore!!
The amount of times it's spelled loose far outweighs the correct spelling online!

My pet hate is people saying “Pacifically” instead of “specifically”.
I know it’s not a grammar mistake just a mispronunciation but it still get to me.

I hate when people say "I seen it" instead of "I have seen" or "I saw". My other half says it all the time and it drives me crazy!

Terry Dolan's slot on [broken link removed] is a good antidote to the annoyance that grammar and language misuse can cause some people (including myself). I like the way he rarely dismisses anything as incorrect. :)

Another howler that even the Irish Times is guilty of is fulsome

If someone gave me fulsome praise, I would not be too impressed...

That's interesting about 'fulsome' - I didnt know it's used in a negative sense.

Whats drives me mad is "I should have went"...aagh!

my all-time favorite was when a guy i used work with, upon inspecting a screwed up laptop, said "It buggers belief that someone could do this..."

Poor belief must be walking funny...

Myself and the other half once had a conversation with a lady who was going on and on about "having to stand for The National Antrim". I could not look over at my other half, she just kept saying it over and over again. The National Antrim. When we eventually got rid of her, we laughed ourselves silly till we cried.

Another time, we brought a friend of his out for dinner who was over from London. He read the menu from the blackboard and proceeded to tell the waiter he wanted to order the "corn of bacon". It was actually loin.

He! he!

These are supposed to be true:

- woman was very perpendicular about her food;
- same women did not like bike-skiddles;
- thought the two men play acting were 'homo-circle';

I thought I told you extincly not to do that!

Another howler that even the Irish Times is guilty of is fulsome

If someone gave me fulsome praise, I would not be too impressed...

This is what Merriam Webster has to say on the matter:

fulsome
One entry found for fulsome.
Main Entry: ful·some
Pronunciation: 'ful-s&m
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English fulsom copious, cloying, from full + -som -some
1 a : characterized by abundance : COPIOUS <describes in fulsome detail -- G. N. Shuster> <fulsome bird life. The feeder overcrowded -- Maxine Kumin> b : generous in amount, extent, or spirit <the passengers were fulsome in praise of the plane's crew -- Don Oliver> <a fulsome victory for the far left -- Bruce Rothwell> <the greetings have been fulsome, the farewells tender -- Simon Gray> c : being full and well developed <she was in generally fulsome, limpid voice -- Thor Eckert, Jr.>
2 : aesthetically, morally, or generally offensive <fulsome lies and nauseous flattery -- William Congreve> <the devil take thee for a ... fulsome rogue -- George Villiers>
3 : exceeding the bounds of good taste : OVERDONE <the fulsome chromium glitter of the escalators dominating the central hall -- Lewis Mumford>
4 : excessively complimentary or flattering : EFFUSIVE <an admiration whose extent I did not express, lest I be thought fulsome -- A. J. Liebling>
- ful·some·ly adverb
- ful·some·ness noun

usage The senses shown above are the chief living senses of fulsome. Sense 2, which was a generalized term of disparagement in the late 17th century, is the least common of these. Fulsome became a point of dispute when sense 1, thought to be obsolete in the 19th century, began to be revived in the 20th. The dispute was exacerbated by the fact that the large dictionaries of the first half of the century missed the beginnings of the revival. Sense 1 has not only been revived but has spread in its application and continues to do so. The chief danger for the user of fulsome is ambiguity. Unless the context is made very clear, the reader or hearer cannot be sure whether such an expression as "fulsome praise" is meant in sense 1b or in sense 4.

Marion

Once, whilst dying of hayfever, I had a close mate of mine recommend that I take some anti-hysterectomy tablets! I laughed so hard that I had to go take some anti-hernia tablets instead!:D Still, it took my mind off my snuffles.....

I was talking to a friend of my mothers.She was telling me all about her son crashing his car .Apparently he twisted the CHASTITY BELT and the car was a write off !!!!!!!!

When AIDS and HIV first became a big news story many years ago I overheard someone referring to a person being HIV "possible".

I regularly hear grown adults refer to chimneys as "chimleys"- this I've also seen in written form!

We were actually having a conversation today about when we were kids and there was always someone who had an "Alastation" dog.

I must tell them tomorrow about chimleys, I forgot about that one. My granny was always looking for a chimley sweep before the damn thing went on fire.

Back