1 GB O2 iPhone Data Tarrif - what is that in real terms?

Jack The Lad

As I've said in a previous post... I'm not impressed with O2's tarrifs for iPhone, when compared other countries (tarrif details here - ) so I ain't getting one. But I was having a discussion with a mate who's getting one anyway, and he argued that the monthly 1 Gigabyte was plenty. I couldn't respond because I wasn't sure what kind of web usage you'd get out of 1 GB.

Say you were to average 10 minutes a day surfing on your iphone, and maybe download a couple of albums a month from itunes... would you be covered? I know that's like asking "how long's a piece of string", but anyone have a ballpark / give or take answer?

How long is a piece of string?

I was all geared up to buy one of these suckers and went to my local Carphonewarehouse and asked about coverage (as a longtime ESAT Digiphone / O2 cutomer it pained me to have to switch operators when I moved house due to the lack of coverage).

The lady talked at length about everything EXCEPT friggin coverage. One of the things she said in here schpiel was that the monthly 1GB limit was appropriate for heavy private use or light business use, which was a nice sound bite and I wondered where I had heard that before. I checked the Irish Times website and bingo! Danuta Gray's interview had the identical phrase.

So maybe ring Danuta or some of her minions as they seem to know what 1GB monthly means in data transmission terms. Me, I'll stick with my original answer above.

Posted a similar question at an Apple discussion group. This was the answer I got, in case anyone else on this forum needs to know in the future -

"Usage will vary. My iPhone is used on WiFi at home primarily. With 2 of my 3 kids actively using the iPhone (my 11 month old is not a heavy user of the data plan, yet), on car trips and such, haven't exceeded 250MB. Any data used on your own WiFi is not going to be counting towards EDGE usage.

1 GB with typical EDGE speeds (90-130) would take about 16 hours of continously downloading while using all of the available bandwidth. Realize when you are accessing the internet typically you are not downloading continuously, nor does loading web pages typically consume all the available bandwidth."

It was also pointed out that you can only download music via wi-fi, or through home computer, so downloading music isn't a data gobbeling factor at present.

Sounds to me like picking up wifi hotspots or using it on your home wireless network is the way to go.

Can you get skype on the iphone?

I think a wait is in order till other operators get them and throw in some competition.

The N95 was real pricey till last week when vodafone dropped the price by half.

Give it time the price of this nice gimicky looking phone should drop as well.

Back